Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much on Pesach food

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:11 am
Just curious we are a family of 7 and wondering how much others spend on pesach food, including wine and matza. In Lakewood.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:36 am
Not in Lakewood, but I bought in Brooklyn. I spent about $1900 on food for a family of 12, including wine, matzah, meat, fish, produce, etc.

I separately spent about $450 on paper goods (I will have leftovers to use throughout the year).

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:02 pm
$1000 so far but assuming will go up some more but hopefully not more then $200 -300 more (fresh produce)
Includes paper goods. Plus we buy some extra paper goods bec of great prices.
Family of 8 + 2 guests

This year didn’t buy milk, matzah, cheese, grape juice, leben and other items due to Shabbos box. So that was a slight savings.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:07 pm
Family of 6. I think it’ll be $2000 😳
Lakewood

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Family of 6. I think it’ll be $2000 😳
Lakewood

Same

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 1:19 pm
Family of 8.
Probably almost $1000 for matzoh we buy extra
$500 for wine
$1100 for meat
$1000 misc groceries or more.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 1:21 pm
About 2k too. Family of 7

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 2:07 pm
Family of 4 plus my parents.
A month ago I would have told you $1000. 2weeks ago $1200-1400. Now I will say 2K. It just keeps creeping up. I will have plenty of left overs and I could have put the brakes on, but I just keep spending. It is a little out of control.

Like I bought a pot roast for the Seder, then my husband says he wants fricazze and that he will pick up ingredients on the way home. Then we got nervous if we have enough hand Shmurah Matza, so we buy another box. We bought cookies at Shoprite which look terrible but we needed something. Then we saw chanilly cake at Costco, and my DH wanted to get for my DC who is coming home and has a sweet tooth. Then I borrowed my MIL’s hand mixer and saw a recipe I thought was interesting so I bought ground almonds, vanilla, baking power......
You get the idea. B”H I can afford it and I shop on sale and everything will either be used eventually, but I feel like it doesn’t stop.

I still need to go back to Costco for fruit, vegetable, potatoes and eggs so I imagine I will spend at least $150-200 then.

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 2:21 pm
family of 5 BUT with many guests (we are approximately 10-15 for each seudah) - also we cook for a family who just had a baby yesterday and wont be able to make pessach themselves (not everything, but three meals) , and a neighbor who just got divorced and sits home alone with depression/corona. so I need to include them in the budget too.

it will be approx. 2800 including new shirts for ds, new dress for dd, papergoods, flowers, books, a new electric grill , outings on chol hamoed etc.

about 2200 for food.

A LOT (if you knew my income Smile ) , but I save every month a little bit and splurge on pessach. we are an open house b´´H and pessach is very expencive. we LOVE the week, family fly over and stay with us, neighbors come, kids' friends eat with us chol hamoed...as I make everything from scratch and we only eat homemade food it cuts costs a bit.

if I payed more attention I could definitely save money (stretch meals, eat more carrots and less asparagus, more apples less papaya etc., but as long as we can afford it its our treat. we dont go on vacation, we dont own a car, kids dont expect huge gifts for their bday...

mazzah and fish cost a fortune this year, for whatever reason. meatorder was over 500 euro

eyn ma laasot. I still cant wait to FINALLY sit at the seder, its so exciting every time. I hyperhappy, dh says im worse than every child Wink

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 3:04 pm
Family of 7, not in Lakewood. Approx $2000. This excludes wine and matzah, but includes paper goods and all other food items.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 3:13 pm
Family of 5.

Appx
1k grocery order, including chickens.
$500 meats. Stays over for after yt.
$500 matzo.
Odds n ends is somewhat over $100, so far.
Didn't order fish yet.

Case wine, 2 cases grape juice, and half case eggs-15 dozen, we got from a family member free of charge bh.

And we're not done.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 3:25 pm
Unmm. So far like 400 but not even home and this is just too bake Banging head

Will be away second days and buy food 0there

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:38 am
bump for the morning crowd

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:46 am
$1200 in the grocery. $300 or so on matzah. Got a case of grape juice for free. I assume I’m going to spend an additional $200-$300 max in the grocery. Family of 5. And im hoping everything will last for the whole pesach. If not I’ll go shopping again on chol hamoed.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:55 am
It’ll be just 4 of us, maybe 5 if my eldest decides to come home. Spent around $700. I’m an avid meal prepped so I had our meals prepped since before Purim. Just had to wait for KLP food.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 5:11 am
Family of 6, $1000 on all food and cleaning help

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 1:38 pm
Family of 3 (child is a toddler) and we spent about 700€ on the food and matzos. Had a guest.
I do not buy a lot of prepared stuff and make most myself, but just basics come out so much. Meat was around 150€, fish 60€, shnura matzos also around 60€...
No cleaner this year.
We are in continental europe and borders are closed and the Brexit also made importing food from the UK hard. Thats why prices supposedly went up by 40% this year (I spent around 400€ the last years).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics