Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Major Challah Problem

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 5:52 am
I have a huge problem with my challah. No matter what I try, it falls apart when it's cut. Instead of a nice slice of challah, you get little pieces. The last few times, the challah doesn't even meld together when it bakes. The braids are so distinct from each other that you can practically unbraid the challah instead of slicing it. When you lift up the challah from one end, the other end breaks right off.

Any suggestions? I have tried adding more water, less water, letting it rise longer or shorter, making tighter braids, varying baking times and nothing works...I would switch recipes, but this one is so good!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 6:47 am
I would say try another recipe, though I'm not a challah expert. Also, have you heard of Devorah Heller? I once saw her give a challah-making demonstration and she said you can always call her with challah problems!
(my problem is I don't make the time to make them, which I wish I did!)

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 9:27 am
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you might be using too much flour. I mix my dough until its slightly not sticky and then leave it to rise in a greased bowl. After it has risen, my dough is slightly greased from the bowl, and doesn't usually need any additional flour.

Also, I have noticed that if I take re-freeze a challah (guests don't eat enough!) it tends to crumble the next time I cut it.

Hope that helped!

Yael

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:21 am
how can this recipe be soo good if its falling apart?
get a new recipe. there are lots that are good. sorry I cant offer you any, maybe someone else can?

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:35 am
It tastes good. Also, it seems to work for other people.

shoy18

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:49 am
you should probably get a new recipe, or ask the person who gave it to you if your measurments are correct, sometimes you write down one thing wrong and the recipes will be off. did it ever come out properly? does it call for eggs?? thats usually whats used for binding

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 12:12 pm
Yeah, it calls for eggs and I'm pretty sure I have the recipe right because the first year or so that I made it it turned out lovely. It's only the last couple of years that I'm having problems.

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 12:29 pm
girliesmommy wrote:
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you might be using too much flour.

I'm going to agree w/ this, but am definitely not an expert either. the past 2 weeks, my challah has not come out as soft and chewy as usual- more crumbly.
brachad, do you have devorah heller's number for future reference? and who is she?!?

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:57 pm
sarahd- I have the same problem. the recipe I use also doesnt cut nice slices, just falls apart with the braids. but its such a good recipe that im not looking for a new one yet.
the truth is, I would like to make my own challah more often but theres a bakery on my corner embarrassed
one day iy"h ill get back into it.

mompete

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 3:24 pm
sometimes depending on where you live or the weather outside affects the dough. but if it worked before for you...don't know what to tell you. I ended up switching challah recipes even though I liked the taste because it came out so heavy. B"H I have success with my new one!

baby's mom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 5:46 pm
Last year I taught preschoolers about how Sarah Imenu's challah was always successful and delicious. For an activity, I decided to prepare dough and bring it to them to braid their own challas..
Well, for some reason my dough (which usually comes out good) flopped shock ! Boy, that day we all realized what it really means to always have your challa/dough come out just right and how blessed sara Imenu was!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads