Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Any ncsy alumi here (doesn't matter how many years ago)
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 12:20 pm
Same amother here...

I totally sympathize with those who suffered from Lanner, and after it came out I looked back and understood a bunch of things...but if we must discuss it on this forum, can we make it a separate thread, please?

shininglight

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 12:34 pm
I'm a second generation NCSY-er ... from ages ago, though!

epavard

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 1:06 am
chillax wrote:
I've gone to a few Shabbatons here and there with the Central East Region Smile

I was in Central East Region, about 30 years ago.

ShiraMiri

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 8:33 pm
Never went to NCSY when I was a kid, although I wish I had! My husband is active with the Midwest region and we go to their winter convention.

ny21

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 8:35 pm
my twins attend ncsy events and love it .

Last edited by ny21 on Tue, Jan 23 2007, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tila

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:17 pm
I am one as well. It is very active in Montreal. We house kids when ever there is a shabbaton. PLEASE why must we drag in that issue, that was not part of the question.

Tila

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:23 pm
Where did my post go?? I am an NCSY er. It is very active in Montreal. We host kids when they come for shabbatons.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:23 pm
I became frum through NCSY and now work for the organization. I just want to say that just because a few people did something horrible doesnt mean you should judge the whole oranization. unfortunately, terrible things happen in many Jewish schools/organizations, and many times those things are covered up.
While I totally disagree with that and I also don't think it was right for NCSY to do whatever they did wrong, I dont think that in any way discounts the greatness of NCSY's work.

Taking unaffiliated jewish kids, who know nothing abuot frumkeit, and teaching them Torah....don't let a few individuals ruin the greatness of it.

I don't mean this as a commercial to support Ncsy, I just think people need to realize that there are bad people in the world, but it's silly to judge everyone else because of someone's mistake. The only people who are losing out when you do that are these non-frum kids. And who is that helping?

ny21

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:28 pm
what rules have changed ? since what happened years ago?

are their different guide lines >

Last edited by ny21 on Fri, Jan 12 2007, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:29 pm
I don't live in NY!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:41 pm
uh I dont know...
some very "chosheveh" Rabbis were part of the cover up. This wasnt just a few people, this was a whole lot. And its not a coincidence that after this all came out the national office "cleaned house" and brought in a whole bunch of new people. All I know is, I just don t trust them and therefore, would never let my kids go....the pain is just too close to home.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
uh I dont know...
some very "chosheveh" Rabbis were part of the cover up. This wasnt just a few people, this was a whole lot. And its not a coincidence that after this all came out the national office "cleaned house" and brought in a whole bunch of new people. All I know is, I just don t trust them and therefore, would never let my kids go....the pain is just too close to home.

B'H they have done a ton to clean up their act...they are aware of the problem and have taken significant action...If only all schools and camps were on top of these things now in the way that NCSY currently is.

While I can certainly understand a person's concern, given the history of NCSY, they have really made a TON of changes since that whole incident, and have a whole system in place to ensure that nothing like that would ever happen again. And they happen to do amazing kiruv

Signed,

Amother with family members who work for NCSY

amother

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:45 am
I am not so sure if I would always call it "amazing kiruv". I personally remember quite a few examples of kids who were talked into looking down on their families and moving out of their parents' house (while they were in high school) to go to Yeshiva in another city. I can imagine that would be very traumatic for a non-frum family where it is not the norm to do that. This even occured for M.O. kids, like myself. Now as an adult, I cant say that I agree with that. I think a lot more in NCSY could be done to encourage shalom bayis for kids from non-frum families.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 2:58 pm
Long long ago for a short time I was in the greater NY region of NCSY. As for the Lanner issue, we all knew it in those days but it was before he really got too much out of line...Baruch Hashem we were never faced with the other problems then...and at that time NCSY had frum and BT all together and it was a lovely learning situation, my parents weren't that happy about letting me go away for a shabbaton and that only happened a few times and each time I had to stay at the house of someone they knew well, otherwise I wasn't allowed to go.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 3:48 pm
I worked at the National Office of NCSY (on 23rd St. I think) in 1979 while I was going to Brookly College. I remember the names Tauber and Rosenberg. Also Greenwald and Sherman. Lanner rings a bell too. Although I know nothing of what happened as I was gone by 1980.
I was the secretary of Brooklyn Region for a while. Attended only one Shabbaton in Far Rockaway where Rav Aryeh Kaplan zt"l was present.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 9:17 pm
Very involved in West Coast as an NCSYer and very involved in NJ as an advisor etc.

NMZacks

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 9:42 pm
I am a huge fan of NCSY. They got me through some really hard times in my life and kept me frum.
I was involved in Midwest Region(and then The Greater Midwest Mesorah Region) and Central East.
I also did a summer program in Israel.
Unfortunately, not involved in it much these days.

morahaviva

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:36 pm
Etz Chaim, early 80's

mamacita

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 4:04 am
Yay for midwest NCSY, didn't attend, but I did work there a few times.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics