Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PANDAS- please help!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:08 pm
My 4 year old son has symptoms that point to him very possibly having PANDAS. He had blood work done and his strep anti bodies are very high. The pediatrician says he probably has it.

What does high strep antibodies mean?

Is there a way to know for sure if it is PANDAS?

If you experienced this with your child, did antibiotics help/did you try other interventions?

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:28 pm
High strep antibodies can mean that he recently fought a strep infection, and or, his body is fighting a chronic subclinical strep infection. It’s not a proof of pandas, but it’s a good clue. The symptoms are a better indicator, and the best proof will be if treatment for pandas helps the symptoms.

Pandas is basically a misdirected immune response. Instead of effectively attacking strep bacteria, the immune system attacks a part of the brain called the basal ganglia. That part of the brain is involved in movement and motor coordination, habit formation, emotional regulation and more. It’s part of the limbic system, so it’s a primitive part of the brain, and kids with pandas will have primitive survival mode behaviors.

Every child with pandas is unique, we personally found antibiotics immensely helpful but not a complete cure. We’ve also used many other modalities including herbs, supplements, diet modification and homeopathy. Each modality brought its own set of benefits. I strongly believe alternative and functional medicine has a place in healing pandas, but I deeply regret not putting my child on antibiotics sooner while I was busy trying out natural approaches that didn’t really work because I didn’t know what I was doing.

With pandas treatment you generally want a multi pronged approach. Put out the infection, take down the inflammation, modulate the immune system so it doesn’t keep making the same mistake, and then on a deeper level, heal the gut, blood brain barrier, and all other deficiencies and imbalances that gave rise to the immune dysregulation in the first place.

If you want to read up more, this book is a good place to start https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

I’m happy to answer any and all questions you may have. I can also help make recommendations for things that can help with your child’s specific symptoms.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:50 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
High strep antibodies can mean that he recently fought a strep infection, and or, his body is fighting a chronic subclinical strep infection. It’s not a proof of pandas, but it’s a good clue. The symptoms are a better indicator, and the best proof will be if treatment for pandas helps the symptoms.

Pandas is basically a misdirected immune response. Instead of effectively attacking strep bacteria, the immune system attacks a part of the brain called the basal ganglia. That part of the brain is involved in movement and motor coordination, habit formation, emotional regulation and more. It’s part of the limbic system, so it’s a primitive part of the brain, and kids with pandas will have primitive survival mode behaviors.

Every child with pandas is unique, we personally found antibiotics immensely helpful but not a complete cure. We’ve also used many other modalities including herbs, supplements, diet modification and homeopathy. Each modality brought its own set of benefits. I strongly believe alternative and functional medicine has a place in healing pandas, but I deeply regret not putting my child on antibiotics sooner while I was busy trying out natural approaches that didn’t really work because I didn’t know what I was doing.

With pandas treatment you generally want a multi pronged approach. Put out the infection, take down the inflammation, modulate the immune system so it doesn’t keep making the same mistake, and then on a deeper level, heal the gut, blood brain barrier, and all other deficiencies and imbalances that gave rise to the immune dysregulation in the first place.

If you want to read up more, this book is a good place to start https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

I’m happy to answer any and all questions you may have. I can also help make recommendations for things that can help with your child’s specific symptoms.

How can you heal the blood brain barrier? We've done so much work but I feel like this could still be an issue.

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:53 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
How can you heal the blood brain barrier? We've done so much work but I feel like this could still be an issue.
I don’t know because we haven’t gotten there yet Tongue Out but I think it’s a lot about healing the gut and taking down inflammation .

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 11:53 pm

Thank you!

He has reccuring strep . Last time was around 5 months ago. Is this considered recent?

I'm waiting to see if the antibiotics will help and then take it from there.

I'll explain basically what his symptoms are:
Always complaining his feet hurt, can tantrum for hours straight for one thing after the next, is extremely unreasonable, has ocd tendencies, can be staring into space and seems to not hear when being spoken to... We are always walking on eggshells around him...

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 11:59 pm
I don’t know because we haven’t gotten there yet Tongue Out but I think it’s a lot about healing the gut and taking down inflammation .

We're working on those. Thank you!

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!

He has reccuring strep . Last time was around 5 months ago. Is this considered recent?

I'm waiting to see if the antibiotics will help and then take it from there.

I'll explain basically what his symptoms are:
Always complaining his feet hurt, can tantrum for hours straight for one thing after the next, is extremely unreasonable, has ocd tendencies, can be staring into space and seems to not hear when being spoken to... We are always walking on eggshells around him...
Recurring strep is probably more of a chronic infection. Has he been evaluated for [absence] seizures? The staring into space and not hearing you can be.. ?

Have you tried motrin and Benadryl or zyrtec yet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics