Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What grab bar do you recommend for bathroom?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 9:03 pm
for toilet and bathtub area? Can you post links, please?

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 9:45 pm
Get a grab bar that is specifically designed to be a grab bar in the metal finish in the rest of the bathroom.

A towel rack is not a grab bar substitute. I had grab bars installed when I remodeled - anyone can slip in a bathroom when there feet are damp so grab bars should be standard in everyone's home.

Please be aware that a grab bar has to be attached to the studs or it is actually potentially more dangerous than nothing at all because in an emergency someone can grab and it can fall off the wall.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 9:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
Get a grab bar that is specifically designed to be a grab bar in the metal finish in the rest of the bathroom.

A towel rack is not a grab bar substitute. I had grab bars installed when I remodeled - anyone can slip in a bathroom when there feet are damp so grab bars should be standard in everyone's home.

Please be aware that a grab bar has to be attached to the studs or it is actually potentially more dangerous than nothing at all because in an emergency someone can grab and it can fall off the wall.
What does it mean attached to the studs?

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 10:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does it mean attached to the studs?

They are the vertical framing elements behind the walls which actually support the walls. The walls are attached to the studs. If you have newer construction the drywall is attached to the studs but older homes have plaster attached to lathing.

Studs are wood in single family homes but are steel in a high rise because of fire codes.

Anything heavy has to be attached to a stud because the actual wall can’t support heavy loads. They sell stud finders.

Any decent home store or place like Home Depot has a variety of grab bars in different finishes. As I posted, you can’t use a towel bar as a grab bar.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:27 am
Amarante wrote:
They are the vertical framing elements behind the walls which actually support the walls. The walls are attached to the studs. If you have newer construction the drywall is attached to the studs but older homes have plaster attached to lathing.

Studs are wood in single family homes but are steel in a high rise because of fire codes.

Anything heavy has to be attached to a stud because the actual wall can’t support heavy loads. They sell stud finders.

Any decent home store or place like Home Depot has a variety of grab bars in different finishes. As I posted, you can’t use a towel bar as a grab bar.
we have an older home. How would we find the studs?
There were so many options in home depot, I didn't know what to choose. Do you have a recommendation?

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:35 am
You can get a stud finder. Or just use your tape measure

It actually might be worth it to buy or borrow an official stud finder.

And why not ask the ppl at Home Depot what they're best seller is?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:09 am
When your safety depends on it, it's worth it to hire someone to professionally put it in. This is one area I wouldn't try to DIY, and I used to remodel houses.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we have an older home. How would we find the studs?
There were so many options in home depot, I didn't know what to choose. Do you have a recommendation?
You can use a strong magnet

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 10:39 am
Meaning no snark but if you don't know what a stud is you really need to hire a competent handyman to install the grab bars safely.

As long as grab bars are certified as being grab bars it doesn't matter what you get. When I remodeled I obsessed about many things but not the manufacturer of the grab bars. Just make sure they are ADA compliant.

More important is that the grab bars be positioned correctly so that they actually are as functional as possible.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 9:02 pm
Amarante wrote:
Meaning no snark but if you don't know what a stud is you really need to hire a competent handyman to install the grab bars safely.

As long as grab bars are certified as being grab bars it doesn't matter what you get. When I remodeled I obsessed about many things but not the manufacturer of the grab bars. Just make sure they are ADA compliant.

More important is that the grab bars be positioned correctly so that they actually are as functional as possible.
We're getting a handyman to install it, but we're going to buy it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 9:16 pm
There are different sizes also, 12, 16, 18, 24 inch. Which sizes should we get for near the toilet and bathtub? Is the 12 inch bar enough?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:31 pm
I always shower in shoes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There are different sizes also, 12, 16, 18, 24 inch. Which sizes should we get for near the toilet and bathtub? Is the 12 inch bar enough?
does size matter?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 26 2022, 9:22 pm
bump for size
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics