Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Need help using up liquid sugar

bashinda

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 8:30 am
Like what do you ladies do with this stuff? I made a cake and maybe something else and used the rest of my 5lb. bag for liquid sugar. Now I'm thinking I should have used less than half the bag for liquid sugar because I ahve this mongo container of liquid sugar left. I've used most of a 24 oz jar but that's it.

So what do you ladies do with this stuff?

I made an orange sherbet thing from the Lubavitch cookbook and I can't think of what to do with it. I personally don't need it.

freidasima

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 8:32 am
use it after yuntif to make jam...don't know what fruits you like but you can take anything even orange peel and boil it in the sugar which is already liquid, and get a lovely jam. You have to boil for about three hours until the liquid is very very very thick, gooey even and it's great to put on anything even into plain yoghurt!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 8:39 am
make lemon/lime aid ...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 8:46 am
One friend said her kids used to drink it. She stopped making it.

What do you store it in? Won't you have to pack that cntainer away anyway? Then what would you put it in, a ziplock bag? I smell a mess cming on. Would it really be wasteful to throw it out ?

Crayon210

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 9:46 am
I threw it all out and never made it again.

I have now drunk 2 or 3 bottles of grape juice this Pesach just to calm my sugar cravings. 8)

mugsisme

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 9:55 am
I don't have the recipe right now, but if you add lemon juice to it, you can freeze it into ices. You have to keep stirring it every hour or so, and it will get slushy. I can find the recipe if you want it.

Leah

bashinda

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 12:10 pm
I get bottled water and then I can transfer it there. in fact going to get DH to get me bottled water soon.

LOL

thanks for all the advice. I already made sherbet or whatever it's called. Idid use a little bit more but I am putting a note not to make more than 36 oz of this stuff next year.

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Apr 26 2008, 1:00 pm
I always make too much. You can:
1. Cook fruit in it to make compote.
2. Lemonade, as suggested. We drink a lot of this.
3. Ditto ices and jam, also sauces and dressings.
4. Add it in place of regular sugar in cooking (as opposed to baking).
5. Keep putting it in your tea/coffee.
6. Sugared nuts.
7. You can keep noiling until you get caramel. But be careful.

If it is not thick, boil it down until syrupy, it will take less space.

mimivan

Post Sat, Apr 26 2008, 9:09 pm
You know, when I used to make lemonade and ices I always was annoyed because the sugar wouldn't dissolve...

Now I have a solution Very Happy

I think I might be making liquid sugar the year round for ices, juices lemonades smoothies etc...

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 2:36 pm
boiled sugar LASTS!

I used boiled sugar this year from last year plus I made some more and had a lot left over so I've packed them away nice and clean and tight for next year and next year I'm not boiling sugar since I have plenty.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:16 pm
in the freezer, raizel, or in a box?

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:21 pm
no just in a container closed up well and make sure its not sticky around the outside so you don't attract any unwelcome guests in your pesach pantry or wherever you are storing it.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:22 pm
not a canning jar, sterilized? aren't you afraid of botuilism?

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:32 pm
from sugar?

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:36 pm
I just noticed this. I also wanted to use up my boiled sugar. My husbands favorite desert is the carmel custard recipe in the purple passover cookbook. this recipe uses alot of sugar.

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:42 pm
CM I wouldn't have thought sugar was an issue but now that you mentioned it I just sent an email to a website that deals with this thing asking someone there about it and when I get a reply I'll post it.

We used last years and we are b"h fine and my parents have been doing it for years.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 8:34 pm
pls do. you can't be too careful

Raizle

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 8:58 pm
Quote:
Hello Raizle,
It looks as if we are talking about a very concentrated sugar solution which would not support the growth of the bacterium which produces botulinum toxin.However in the circumstances I would like you to supply us with a sample of the syrup so that we may check on this .
Our postal address is ...

now I have to figure out how you send liquid in the mail Confused

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:17 pm
Another thing you could do is make rock candy! Just take a cup or more, put a string in it (you can weigh it down with a sterilized nut) and put it in a dark cool place. My brother used to do it in high school - we lived in a very healthy household. No sugar, except in his closet!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics