Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Have you gone off instagram after using it for years?
Previous  1  2

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 11:06 pm
Literally every person who made the change, is so excited and happy to be past it. We all have the same exact answer because growth is so exciting!
I look back at these influencers and I can’t believe I wasted any of my life on them. Like it was a different universe with just a bunch of fake people trying to promote themselves. None of the human beings I know in real life (including some of the influencers that I know personally) actually talk like they do. It’s ridiculous.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 11:17 pm
I think it would be so cool to see a “big time” influencer decide to deactivate her account and write an article about it. I just not sure that will ever happen bec I fully get how hard it is to see past it when u are in that world. Especially those that really do mke money off being an influencer! I just feel sorry for pple who have to get on there daily.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 11:29 pm
Yes!!! I have a business so I needed it but I realized how many hours a day were spent on Instagram (business and non business related)… hired someone to take over my social media and was the best decision I ever made! Only after being off for a few weeks I realized how liberating it is. I don’t think I know anyone who regrets going off.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 11:37 pm
I just went off, and yes it's been hard.. It's a constant fight with myself to not put it back on my phone but I know it was the right thing to do.
I wasted too much time and I didn't like how I felt from it. I didn't like that it distracted me from my kids.. And I didn't like seeing other people's lives even if it's fake. And yes I followed therapists and inspiration too but that wasn't enough to justify it to myself.
Hoping deleting it brings more bracha into my home.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey! I was like you! I thought oh I follow such quality people I gain so much etc. well I still think it was not healthy! The whole app disassociates u from real life. U don’t realize till you detox and get off. Rather choose what you want to learn about and look up things on YouTube get on email lists etc. also for anyone I really thought I wanted I follow their WhatsApp status. Many pple have that now. So much more controlled. For example I have between carpools for their hacks, yeshiva world for the news so I’m not totally out of it lol and Blimie heller for her parenting stuff on my WhatsApp.

I'd be much more nervous to get involved in Whatsapp. With Whatsapp all the stuff comes to your phone unlike Insta which I only check it out if I choose to. I use WA as a messaging app so all those unread messages would grab my attention all day. With Insta I only go on at given times. Also WA automatically downloads all pics and videos to my phone and then I have to go deleting everything -unless there's a way to fix this?

But truth is I'm in my late 40s and don't get sucked into the nonsensical parts of Insta. I use it when I need to chill. I can see it being toxic for the younger people.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:05 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
In fact, friends commented where they saw my outfit and on whose account so I just felt stupid.

This was a fantastic post!

But pulled out this part. I bought a cheap cardigans comicCook recommended from target. Every single day I bump into ppl wearing it. It seems a little stupid - like we all know who saw whose story (accept friends without Instagram bought on my recommendation - but it’s still way to popular this season to be a fluke)
I’m like if I’m going to be twinning with the entire lkwd I’m not buying recommendations again.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:08 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
Yup, stopped cold turkey 5 years ago. Did it as a zchus for something. (All social media) Best thing I could’ve done and I do not miss any part of it.

You know that imamother is social media also?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey! I was like you! I thought oh I follow such quality people I gain so much etc. well I still think it was not healthy! The whole app disassociates u from real life. U don’t realize till you detox and get off. Rather choose what you want to learn about and look up things on YouTube get on email lists etc. also for anyone I really thought I wanted I follow their WhatsApp status. Many pple have that now. So much more controlled. For example I have between carpools for their hacks, yeshiva world for the news so I’m not totally out of it lol and Blimie heller for her parenting stuff on my WhatsApp.

whats the link for blimi heller parenting whatsapp status and between carpools?

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:11 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
I'd be much more nervous to get involved in Whatsapp. With Whatsapp all the stuff comes to your phone unlike Insta which I only check it out if I choose to. I use WA as a messaging app so all those unread messages would grab my attention all day. With Insta I only go on at given times. Also WA automatically downloads all pics and videos to my phone and then I have to go deleting everything -unless there's a way to fix this?

But truth is I'm in my late 40s and don't get sucked into the nonsensical parts of Insta. I use it when I need to chill. I can see it being toxic for the younger people.

They come as a status so no notifications. It’s like Instagram stories.
You can also put chat notifications on silent so it doesn’t show as unread

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:11 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:

I’m talking about statuses.. not WhatsApp groups.. it’s very controlled imo. And not designed to suck u into to checking over and over again. It’s not that exciting to check on ur statuses lol. It’s not posted to in the same way as stories. More like condensed info. No pple talking really.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m talking about statuses.. not WhatsApp groups.. it’s very controlled imo. And not designed to suck u into to checking over and over again. It’s not that exciting to check on ur statuses lol. It’s not posted to in the same way as stories. More like condensed info. No pple talking really.

Oh thanks for explaining.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think it would be so cool to see a “big time” influencer decide to deactivate her account and write an article about it. I just not sure that will ever happen bec I fully get how hard it is to see past it when u are in that world. Especially those that really do mke money off being an influencer! I just feel sorry for pple who have to get on there daily.

I follow about 8-10 accounts. In the last few months 3! of those people have left instagram, one for good, one stayed only to promote her business which I am not interested in ads, and another left for an extended amount of time but will be back. It just doesn't pull me as much anymore.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 8:38 am
singleagain wrote:
You know that imamother is social media also?

Shhhh. Don't tell them. Wink

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 9:22 am
I went off Instagram cold turkey last summer and it was the best thing I ever did. For all the same reasons others posted above, but also I've found that my ruchnius has improved so much bH without all that extra "noise" in my head all day. I see a big difference in my davening and in my motivation for learning and growth. When your head is constantly full of petty and materialistic things, it doesn't have room for expanded consciousness.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 9:46 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I follow about 8-10 accounts. In the last few months 3! of those people have left instagram, one for good, one stayed only to promote her business which I am not interested in ads, and another left for an extended amount of time but will be back. It just doesn't pull me as much anymore.

The only person I remember leaving instagram when I was still on was shevi from itsalearning life. I remember feeling happy for her

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 5:57 pm
I just deleted Instagram today. I am done. It is complete waste of time. Takes away from family time. I will probably have withdrawal in a way. Or wish I had it. But I will overcome this nonsense. I just wanted to shout from the rooftops I did it!!

cnc

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:02 pm
Good for you!
I did it almost three years ago- I’ve managed to add hours to my day(although not enough 😬). And my life is calmer- I don’t feel like I’m always on a rat race trying to keep up with everything.

amother
Melon

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:02 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
I just deleted Instagram today. I am done. It is complete waste of time. Takes away from family time. I will probably have withdrawal in a way. Or wish I had it. But I will overcome this nonsense. I just wanted to shout from the rooftops I did it!!

Good for you!!! The first week or so will be hard but then it gets easier and easier. I did it months ago and I hardly think about it anymore!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics