Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Fever from fast or from virus? work tomorrow?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:56 pm
I wasn't feeling well so I broke my fast.
then I had fever.
do you think it was from the fast or a virus? I went to urgent care. probably viral. deciding if I NEED to take off from work or not. I guess I will see when tylenol wears off if fever returns. (The dr said can technically get fever from dehydration. he didn't think it would be crazy if I'd go to work tomorrow, which surprised me. I always thought 24 hr fever free)

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:15 pm
Your not a little child running around coughing and wiping your nose with your hand.
If you had a low grade fever today and it doesn’t return when the pain killer wears off then you are probably fine. Your an adult. If you aren’t feeling well then you know to go home. You don’t seem to have any other symptoms so of course you can go out tomorrow if you’re feeling fine.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:16 pm
Never heard of getting a fever from a fast.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:18 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
Never heard of getting a fever from a fast.

ditto, especially you didn't fast close to a full day

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:52 pm
yeah he said it was unlikely but dehydration could cause spike in fever

SYA

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 11:03 pm
Make sure you are 8 hours off Tylenol and fever doesn’t return for a few hours. It can sometimes return a few hours later.

Fever is a sign the body is fighting a virus or infection. You want to make sure you’re not contagious and going to get someone else sick. It’s very unlikely it was from fasting as you didn’t fats a whole day.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 11:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasn't feeling well so I broke my fast.
then I had fever.
do you think it was from the fast or a virus? I went to urgent care. probably viral. deciding if I NEED to take off from work or not. I guess I will see when tylenol wears off if fever returns. (The dr said can technically get fever from dehydration. he didn't think it would be crazy if I'd go to work tomorrow, which surprised me. I always thought 24 hr fever free)

Please don't go into work with a fever, instead ask if you can work from home. Almost all workplaces have a few co-workers who takes care of elderly parents or immune compromised spouses/children, even if you are not aware of those medical issues. 24 hours fever free without fever meds is a fair gauge of if you are better.

No one should go anywhere when they have a fever, especially not a person who is shomer Torah v'mitzvos.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 11:31 am
As a manager, please do not go into work sick, particularly with a known fever that hasn't been gone for 24 hours unmedicated.

I've had over a third of my staff (~5/14) out with covid in the last month--which means they are out for at least a week. Thankfully, I don't believe they are spreading it at work due to our protocols (they didn't catch it here based on known seating and also timing of symptoms etc.), but don't be the one to bring a virus that comes with a fever, etc. of any kind to the office, covid or not. We are falling behind on major deliverables and I'm running out of OT.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 1:31 am
So the fever didn't return bH . I took the morning off and went to work 12:30. So it was almost 24 hrs.
Working remotely wouldn't be an option - I do therapy in a preschool.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 5:20 am
I have gotten fevers from fasting before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note