Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Teshuva question

Petra

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:37 pm
Aside from this being a Rav level question just wanted to get others experience. I’m in a discussion with someone about this topic:

If one has done something against Halacha (D’Oraisa) which is irreversible and that person knew beforehand that it was against Halacha under the majority of opinions and now they regret it yet still get benefit from that thing, how does one proceed?

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:48 pm
So that is the thing: Each time we do an averah we create ripple effects in the world that can't be undone. Some things, like creating a situation in which one is born a mamzer, have super long-term effects. And that is sad.

But teshuvah is always teshuvah. When a person repents, he's repented. He can't change reality but he can he change his relationship with the sin. While he can think of it sometimes, such as on Yom Kippur, he shouldn't let it drag him down on a daily basis. The effects will stay, but he's distanced himself from the desire for the sin. He is remorseful and disowns the sin. The sin is not his anymore, (and in fact, the sin is transformed into merit through teshuvah) but the results of it are here to stay. After teshuvah, it becomes calculated into Hashem's great infinite plan. Rabbi YY Jacobson had an amazing shiur on this once, I think this is it: https://www.theyeshiva.net/jew.....amily
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions