Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Consumerism/ marketing / advertising

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:23 pm
I need an engaging hands on project for my students ( 8th grade) to partake in related to this topic that we're covering now.
Any ideas?

amf

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:32 pm
Have them pick a product/business and create an ad for it

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:41 pm
Agree to have them create their own ad - maybe bring in a bunch of little junky items like a penny, a plastic bag, an empty water bottle, and have them select one (or choose blindly out of a large bag). Then they create an ad campaign that convinces the consumer it's worth $500. Just spitballing, it needs some tweaking but that's what came to mind for me!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:42 pm
I like that idea. What should be the requisites?
In other words, how do I present this to them?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:45 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Agree to have them create their own ad - maybe bring in a bunch of little junky items like a penny, a plastic bag, an empty water bottle, and have them select one (or choose blindly out of a large bag). Then they create an ad campaign that convinces the consumer it's worth $500. Just spitballing, it needs some tweaking but that's what came to mind for me!

That is adorable actually! you're so creative. open to hear more on this Wink

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:49 pm
What are you teaching about these topics? What are your goals for the project? What do you hope they will gain from participating?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:05 pm
[quote="seeker"]What are you teaching about these topics? What are your goals for the project? What do you hope they will gain from

We just started the topic
objectives in a nutshell:
understanding the purposes of advertising
describing diff ways of advertising ( ex. personal-such as salesmen/ telemarketers, media, and display/ packaging)
analyzing various marketing techniques
explaining the pros and cons of advertising
( from the consumer perspective)
We will also discuss the govt agencies involved in truthful marketing
etc. etc.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
That is adorable actually! you're so creative. open to hear more on this Wink

Since you say you're going over different ways and techniques of advertising, they can decide the best way to persuade people to spend $$$ on their junky item. Maybe they can market it as a luxury brand, or emphasize the genuine usefulness of the product, or imply everyone else has one nowadays. Then you can hang up everyone's finished ads around the room, "give" each student $1000, and have them choose which 2 items they want to spend their money on. Then they write a paragraph or two explaining what was effective about those 2 ads that convinced them to buy the product.

Lol this is so much more fun than lesson planning the actual lessons I'm supposed to be planning for tomorrow Tongue Out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:22 pm
Thank you! I think I will run with this Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:24 pm
While on this topic, any creative ideas for mishloach manos that ties in with this?

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:37 pm
From a consumer perspective, they can each choose a product category (e.g. moisturizer, shampoo, yogurt), find 2-3 products within that category, choose which one they would buy and their presentation needs to explain their choice along with how they think that company won them over and what the other company could have done better to compete. They can bring in packaging, advertisements, etc to illustrate/analyze.

They could do this earlier in the semester than creating their own campaign because it can be more exploratory and requires less independent knowledge of the principles.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:49 pm
seeker wrote:
From a consumer perspective, they can each choose a product category (e.g. moisturizer, shampoo, yogurt), find 2-3 products within that category, choose which one they would buy and their presentation needs to explain their choice along with how they think that company won them over and what the other company could have done better to compete. They can bring in packaging, advertisements, etc to illustrate/analyze.

They could do this earlier in the semester than creating their own campaign because it can be more exploratory and requires less independent knowledge of the principles.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Sounds awesome
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics