Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
ISO good sefer/book on parshah, the way it actually happened

wwmom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:09 am
I realized growing up we never properly learnt the parsha stories or all jewish history stories the way they actually happened because obviously they are not gonna teach kids about all the 'inapproriate' things that went down. I've come to realize that in many cases I actually have no clue of what really happened. Are there any easy to read books/seforim that actually tell it the real way? I would love to relearn everything as an adult.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:14 am
The books by yosef deutsch and another similar author (only 3 books, chanukah,churban and something else) have to check my shelf

Cannot recommend enough. Start with let my nation live for purim. Wow you will be amazed. It's written like a novel super easy to digest

Also for tanach - the good old midrash says and there's a similar one called Navi Journey

SweetMouse

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:16 am
Why don't you start with a Chumash with an English translation? There's nothing like reading it from the source! If you want more, you can try an English translation of Rashi or Midrash Rabbah. Its not super easy to read, but IME, anything easy to read is generally not geared to adults.

chicco

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:30 am
The Little Midrash says is perfect for this.

5mom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 3:04 am
SweetMouse wrote:
Why don't you start with a Chumash with an English translation? There's nothing like reading it from the source! If you want more, you can try an English translation of Rashi or Midrash Rabbah. Its not super easy to read, but IME, anything easy to read is generally not geared to adults.

This. Why wouldn't you just open a Chumash?

noosheen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 7:12 am
wwmom wrote:
I realized growing up we never properly learnt the parsha stories or all jewish history stories the way they actually happened because obviously they are not gonna teach kids about all the 'inapproriate' things that went down. I've come to realize that in many cases I actually have no clue of what really happened. Are there any easy to read books/seforim that actually tell it the real way? I would love to relearn everything as an adult.

The Chumash itself. ArtScroll
I try to read the English and Rashi every week

Can’t get any more accurate than that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics