Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Diaper Genie Stinks!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 11:15 pm
We use a separate garbage for my son's diapers that we keep near the changing table (in my bedroom) and it STINKS! I put air freshner nearby, potpourri at the bottom... and it's a covered garbage....but it's still terrible. I think it has a permanent smell even after we take the garbage out. Any suggestions?

Mandy

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 11:38 pm
keep it in the bathroom

BlumaG

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 11:43 pm
we keep oursi n our garage, its attatched to the house, I have heard to bleach it monthly and spray lysol cleaner in after a bad dirty diaper

shoy18

Post Sat, Sep 10 2005, 11:50 pm
I had the same problem and I started throwing the dirty ones out right away in a plastic bag in the regular garbage and just using it for wet diapers and the smell is gone! I tried air freshner, lysol, nothing helped until I started doing this.

mommy2

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 4:21 pm
Too avoid the room getting smelly I always empty the diapers into the toilet, and then if they r messy I also individually wrap them in a diaper bag. In addition , I have the diaper pail washed out weekly.

miriam

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 7:56 pm
I take the diapers straight outside to the garbage cans next to our house.

Tovah

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 8:26 pm
that's funny I was going to start a thread on this, b/c my husband hates the geani. I found the diaper genie bags smell bad and that's why it smells bad. so I put the diaper in a ziploc sandwhich bag air tight and then put it in the geani with out their bags. just tried it this shabbos so so far so good.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 9:43 pm
thanks for the tips! we don't use the actually diaper genie bags, but regular garbage bags. mommy2, I want to get rid of the diapers as soon as poss...don't think I'd start emptying them into the toilet...but thanks! I think I just need to wash the actual bin more often.... let it soak....hope it'll work! thanks!

Yael

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:20 pm
you can use nappy bags (small plastic bag with handles to tie) to seal the odor inside.

STRONGMOM

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 2:54 pm
I do not have any bin in the bedroom. even for wet diapers. I get rid of it right away. I cant stand bad smells in the house.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 9:27 pm
do you put themin the kitchen garbage? I don't want my kitchen stinking!

Shimmysmom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 10:31 am
we have the diaper dekor- we were told that it works better than the diaper genie and I am very happy with it- it works really well, unless it is too full it doesn't smell.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 3:35 pm
I ahve a diaper champ that takes a regular garbage bag its ok but hwhen u take it out ahhhhhhhhhhh

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 5:00 pm
what's the genie vs the dekor vs the champ?
I think mine's a genie, but the truth is, I use it like a regular garbage can....can it second hand, so I'm just assuming it's the "genie"....

Rivka

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 4:18 pm
I have a similar thing, yes it smells and it is because it has old nappies sometimes for a week so I quit using it when my son got older coz it didn't get emptied out as much. I would clean it with bleach in the bathroom after taking out the nappies leave it to air after and then spray it with dettol and then put it back in the bedroom, and everytime put a nappy in it I would spray it with dettol. It worked, but I gave up and stopped using it.
Now I use a normal bin and it gets chucked out pretty often, I don't like running up and down the stairs everytime my son makes in his nappy because I live on the 1st floor it's annoying to do that and on shabbos I can't do that.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 8:28 pm
what's dettol?

Rivka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 8:33 am
It's an antibacterial spray...they do air fresheners and a surface cleaner and floor cleaner and a spray.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry