Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Where can I go fruit picking

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 11:09 pm
Located in NY willing to travel out

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:10 am
I don’t think any fruit is ready to be picked in this area, at this time of year. (Trees are first beginning to flower now.)

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:25 am
AYLOR, but as far as I know, harvesting fruit is real melacha and best avoided on chol hamoed.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:47 am
amother Cyan wrote:
AYLOR, but as far as I know, harvesting fruit is real melacha and best avoided on chol hamoed.

AFAIK, You can pick apples (in the Fall) and use them for apple kugel, etc. for Yom Tov.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:53 am
amother Cyan wrote:
then what is not a real melacha... Is driving a car not a real melacha? Is throwing out bad food from good food not a real melacha?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 3:51 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
then what is not a real melacha... Is driving a car not a real melacha? Is throwing out bad food from good food not a real melacha?

Again, ask locally. Nowadays, everyone writes on chol hamoed, for example. And you might say that picking fruit is unskilled labor so it's ok. But ask. Different communities, different approaches.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 3:56 am
It's not the season to go fruit picking.

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:08 am
It’s an amazing, intricate process to get ripe fruit. First the fruit trees need to leaf out (produce leaves). Then they produce blossoms. The blossoms need to be pollinated. If all goes well, this leads to fertilization. Then a tiny fruit starts to grow and the petals wither. It takes a long time for the immature fruit to grow to its full size. Then it has to ripen. Then, and only then, is it time to pick the fruit. Right now the trees near you are probably either leafing out or starting to flower, so the summer or early fall is when their fruit will be ready to pick. Some quicker options are fruits that don’t grow on trees, like strawberries, which are usually ready in June where I live, or blueberries, which grow on bushes and are often ready in July (depending on weather conditions that year).

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:49 am
Fruit picking is allowed but you can't pick more than you're likely to use before yom tov ends.
But I don't think there's anything out there to pick yet.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:51 am
amother Cyan wrote:
Again, ask locally. Nowadays, everyone writes on chol hamoed, for example.

Not everyone.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:52 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Not everyone.

Thanks, I stand corrected.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics