Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
SSI?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 3:13 pm
Does any body get SSI benifits for their kid? What are the requirements for eligibility and is it difficult to get on or stay on? Is for kids who's functioning is severely limited?

Are there any agencies in lakewood that answer questions, or help you apply successfully?

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 4:02 pm
LRRC knows all the rules. Call or email them

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 4:09 pm
You need to have basically no savings. I don’t think functioning needs to be severely limited because when DD received an ADHD diagnosis I got a call to let me know she may be eligible and to ask me screening questions. But if you have more than a few thousand dollars in the bank then you are automatically ineligible.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 4:58 pm
Thanks! I just got that phone call also.

Ill try LRRC. But are you sure they help with this? They're website had nothing about it.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 5:12 pm
Typically it has to impair the person's ability to participate in daily activities. It has to be a disability. Not sure how ADHD can qualify but maybe in extreme cases? (Talking as someone who has several family members with ADHD, not all easily managed with meds).

But to see if the person may qualify, you can check:
https://www.ssa.gov/prepare/ch.....efits

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 5:15 pm
She has ASD and ADHD and currently is in a self contained class and getting lots of therapy. Do you think that would count as impaired from participating in daily activities?

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 5:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! I just got that phone call also.

I’ll try LRRC. But are you sure they help with this? Their website had nothing about it.
To be honest I didn’t find the lrrc particularly knowledgeable when it comes to disability. But it can’t hurt to call them. I do think DD would have qualified as far as the disability requirements (she was later diagnosed with ASD as well, to the amother who said severe adhd isn’t always addressed by medication, that’s exactly what we are dealing with).

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 5:27 pm
When I applied, I made sure to indicate exactly HOW throughout his day his diagnoses affected him. At age 5 he woke up in a dirty diaper and I changed him. I had to dress him because he couldn't dress himself. He could make choices at breakfast but not with full sentences. He went to a special ed preschool, etc etc etc. on and on through the day. And he still didn't get it. Tried again with a lawyer. Don't expect to get it even if your kiddo is signiicantly affected AND you meet the strict financial requirements--- they leave it for those of us who truly cannot work at all because we're constantly meeting our kids needs by having school meetings and therapy appointments and doctors appointments etc etc etc. Sorry for the bad news but it's ROUGH.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 14 2023, 6:21 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
When I applied, I made sure to indicate exactly HOW throughout his day his diagnoses affected him. At age 5 he woke up in a dirty diaper and I changed him. I had to dress him because he couldn't dress himself. He could make choices at breakfast but not with full sentences. He went to a special ed preschool, etc etc etc. on and on through the day. And he still didn't get it. Tried again with a lawyer. Don't expect to get it even if your kiddo is signiicantly affected AND you meet the strict financial requirements--- they leave it for those of us who truly cannot work at all because we're constantly meeting our kids needs by having school meetings and therapy appointments and doctors appointments etc etc etc. Sorry for the bad news but it's ROUGH.

Thanks for telling me! This is why I am asking, I am trying t figure out if it's worth the effort to apply.

My DD is not as significantly effected as you describe.

Curious to hear others experience.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 2:46 am
The parent can’t own a home, will only be able to have very little $in the bank at all
Times- unless u wait till
The child is 18- then it’s not “yours” so
It won’t be a problem. (I’m waiting)

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 5:34 pm
OP, I found Mr. Birnhack from Lrrc to be very helpful. I received ssi for my child for about a year until I was ineligible due to an income change. Before you apply find out from Lrrc if you are financially eligible. Applying for ssi is a huge pain and getting approved takes a long time although you get back pay from when you apply. Also, if you are denied, contact Lrrc. My ssi caseworker made a ton of mistakes and I was initially ineligible due to her mistakes..

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:28 am
Maybe call Yahalom. They recently had a zoom with a financial lawyer regarding this and topics similar to this. They should be able to help

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 7:06 am
Rabbi birnhack at lrrc was very helpful to me in clarifying ssi eligibility and benefits. Be aware that it is extremely financially limiting in terms of how much savings you can have as parents and you need to let them know as soon as anything changes otherwise I've heard that they can/will ask for money back. He gave me clear info based on my financials about how much I may be able to get and it was not worth pursuing for me. Yes, I also got a lot of phone calls that "you may be eligible for additional cash benefits"
Good luck, I hope you figure out what works
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)