Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SSI for child how do we qualify
Previous  1  2  3

way2go

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 5:26 pm
SSI definitely looks at parent income, assets etc when applying for a child. It is very specific. And if they feel something was wrong afterwards they will ask for money back

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
We don't qualify because we have two vehicles and one of them puts us over the edge for qualifying

Is there anything we can do?

Do you have a care manager? They should be able to help with this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:22 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Do you have a care manager? They should be able to help with this.

No.
But I did get a call from the insurance company saying they help people get onto SSI. And they did a phone meeting with me and said we made too much to qualify. Then I investigated on my own and got my own SSI interview.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
No.
But I did get a call from the insurance company saying they help people get onto SSI. And they did a phone meeting with me and said we made too much to qualify. Then I investigated on my own and got my own SSI interview.
I have gotten those phone calls too. It is really difficult to get a child under 18 on SSI. You need to have next to no resources plus the disability needs to be “enough”.

I’m not totally sure how they decide who to call because I have gotten called for my Dc who has adhd and asd, which makes sense, but I also have gotten calls for another DC who was evaluated but wasn’t given a diagnosis and wasn’t treated. At this point I know to ignore them but it’s annoying how they get their hopes up when the only way to qualify is to be close to in debt.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:18 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
I have gotten those phone calls too. It is really difficult to get a child under 18 on SSI. You need to have next to no resources plus the disability needs to be “enough”.

I’m not totally sure how they decide who to call because I have gotten called for my Dc who has adhd and asd, which makes sense, but I also have gotten calls for another DC who was evaluated but wasn’t given a diagnosis and wasn’t treated. At this point I know to ignore them but it’s annoying how they get their hopes up when the only way to qualify is to be close to in debt.

Oh we are very much in debt.

Still doesn't make us qualify

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:58 pm
Op, we had ssi for my child and it was the hugest headache ever. It will stifle you, unless you literally have no other way to live or pay bills. Yes, it was very nice to get like $700-800 a month, but honestly don’t think was worth it.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:24 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Op, we had ssi for my child and it was the hugest headache ever. It will stifle you, unless you literally have no other way to live or pay bills. Yes, it was very nice to get like $700-800 a month, but honestly don’t think was worth it.
I’m curious about why it was such a headache? Is it because you couldn’t earn any more money?

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh we are very much in debt.

Still doesn't make us qualify
Before you start trying to qualify resource wise you should first make sure your kid would even qualify …
Having 2 cars is usually considered a luxury

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:30 pm
Before you start trying to qualify resource wise you should first make sure your kid would even qualify …
Having 2 cars is usually considered a luxury

So how do I make sure of that?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:35 pm
I’m curious about why it was such a headache? Is it because you couldn’t earn any more money?

Yes and no whole life insurance plan and if we got a bonus or something not being able to deposit because maybe for 2 seconds I’ll have more than 3000 in my account, when meanwhile I had big bills to pay... and just being watched every move in my account.
Once when we got a tax refund, which officially is allowed in account even if more than $3000, they didn’t care to see why my account had more for a day or so, and billed us back that month. We could’ve fought it with them and show proof, but we were in medical crisis so was not worth it.
And more such stories...
We tried getting off and it was not easy, b’H now we’re done with it.
Now I just want to get my child certified disabled so dc should never lose Medicaid and have the option of straight Medicaid with no hmo if we need.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:37 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Yes and no whole life insurance plan and if we got a bonus or something not being able to deposit because maybe for 2 seconds I’ll have more than 3000 in my account, when meanwhile I had big bills to pay... and just being watched every move in my account.
Once when we got a tax refund, which officially is allowed in account even if more than $3000, they didn’t care to see why my account had more for a day or so, and billed us back that month. We could’ve fought it with them and show proof, but we were in medical crisis so was not worth it.
And more such stories...
We tried getting off and it was not easy, b’H now we’re done with it.
Now I just want to get my child certified disabled so dc should never lose Medicaid and have the option of straight Medicaid with no hmo if we need.

I appreciate this thanks. Makes me feel a little better. But I'm sorry you went through that

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:56 pm
May not be worth it to do it before the child is 18 because you can never have any $ in your account etc.. I’m in same situation but I’m waiting.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics