Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Chulent inside another chulent?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:18 pm
DH and I are on a specific diet. Our chulent is very atypical. We are going to ds for shabbos and he wants to make a chulent we can eat and also one that his family will eat. He came up eith the idea of making a small chulent for dh and me that he will put in a chulent bag. And put the chulent bag inside the chulent for his family. I'm ok with the idea, but was wondering if I'm missing something and will it ruin both chulents.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:23 pm
I make my cholent in a liner and often put another liner in the crockpot with a rack of ribs so I don't see why it shouldn't work. Sometimes the seasonings seep into each other though.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:25 pm
Why don't you just put the bags side by side instead of inside one?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:28 pm
I don’t know how porous/permeable the bags are and if you food restrictions are strict (allergy or preferences).

If it is preferences it sounds like a great idea. If it is allergy-I genuinely don’t know.

Stars

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:29 pm
Depends on the reasons for the dietary restrictions

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:36 pm
The dietary restrictions are for health preferences, no allergies or health dangers if they get mixed at all. As for side by side, ds doesnt plans to put the main chulent in without a bag and my chulent inside that. There won't be room in the pot for both chulents in bags.

Frumme

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:41 pm
Yes it'll be fine, I've seen it done with a mason jar

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:53 pm
Yes I used to do that and it was just fine.

Stars

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:58 pm
He sounds like a great guy. Yes it should be fine!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 4:34 pm
Your chulent will taste great and your son sounds like a gem!
If your dietary restrictions are very important for health reasons, be aware a little fat, sodium, sugars or whatever else you need to avoid might seep into your food, but probably not enough that you'd need to be concerned.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 7:45 pm
Frumme wrote:
Yes it'll be fine, I've seen it done with a mason jar

You mean putting a filled and covered mason jar in the chulent instead of a bag? neat idea! I may just try this for fun one shabbos Smile

It's good to know that the idea will work.

And yeah, my son and his wife are both gems!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 9:33 pm
Not to be a party pooper, but you might have an issue with the issur of Hatmana (wrapping/insulating)

To avoid this, your bag should not be completely closed or submerged - but ask a rav.

My FIL has this sort of issue of dietary preferences. When he comes, he gets a special cholent, too. It's cooked in a separate pot and then my DH puts it into a small disposable pan which goes on TOP of our cholent in the crockpot. It is not covered or submerged completely.

Frumme

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
You mean putting a filled and covered mason jar in the chulent instead of a bag? neat idea! I may just try this for fun one shabbos Smile

It's good to know that the idea will work.

And yeah, my son and his wife are both gems!

Yes exactly, just use a canning jar (so it's made for heat), put the glass jar in at the same time as the water/other cholent so it's all the same temp, and you might want to put something underneath it like an aluminum ball if you're just doing water on the outside

WitchKitty

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 10:57 pm
My mother does that every shabbos
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking