Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
If your son volunteers for hatzalah
Previous  1  2

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you Moonstone! Does he work in a medical field now to, other than on the off days?

Yes. He started out in a totally different industry but was a volunteer patient liaison in the local hospital. Eventually that hospital hired him as a patient rep and he built his way up from there and has worked at at least 5 different hospitals working in different departments. He doesn’t work with the patients anymore , he works with doctors and the executive side of things . But he’s still a busy Hatzolah paramedic on the side . He also is the Hatzolah member at one of the hotels that often has hotel programs for yomim tovim etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:49 pm
Thank you so much, everyone, for responding! It's so interesting to me that it's hard to get in. I would have had no idea. I wonder if it's like that in Baltimore too.

Rose, you mentioned that there's some sort of curriculum. Can you send me a link to where I could buy it or look at it?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 2:35 pm
He can start volunteering now for other organizations like chaveirim or misaskim.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much, everyone, for responding! It's so interesting to me that it's hard to get in. I would have had no idea. I wonder if it's like that in Baltimore too.

Rose, you mentioned that there's some sort of curriculum. Can you send me a link to where I could buy it or look at it?

https://www.amazon.com/Emergen.....psc=1
Its amazing, Hatzalah members are unpaid and can never even get credit for specific work, because of HIPAA and privacy reasons however there are countless people hoping for the opportunity.
Maybe he can inquire about becoming a service member, again not sure about Baltimore, but many locations have volunteers for clerical Hatzulah work, maintaining the vehicles, filling up on gas etc and its sometimes a good way to get one foot in.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:55 pm
I have a relative who joined that hatzalah as a single young man. If you PM me, I can give you the name if you want to reach out to him.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:36 pm
I think Hatzalah may be a very good outlet for him. Ask Baltimore Hatzalah guys if it's hard to get on it there. It is volunteer work, so he won't get money for it, but he will get schar and he'll feel very good about himself.

However, I very strongly recommend that he not work for any secular ambulance company. There are many problems with working there, including that the EMTs have no say in who they work with each day. He might work with women, and they spend hours each day sitting around an ambulance together waiting for calls. With a female partner, its probably considered yichud, and it should be IMO. But even with a male who will probably be on the internet doing who knows what while they sit there, that's not how you want him spending hours every day.

baltomom

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:03 am
So funny, last night I was driving boys HS carpool (in Baltimore) and the boys were talking all about EMT stuff, the difference between EMT and paramedics, ECG machines, AED devices, etc. Apparently a few of the boys took some kind of course in this area over bein hazmanim (which is typically when these types of courses are offered for yeshiva boys). If you PM me, I can try to get you more info.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children