Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Wrong name
Previous  1  2

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Jun 17 2023, 6:12 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Very common among the yeshivish set. Maybe among boys altogether? There are families in my neighborhood who refer to themselves, boys and girls both, as "Surname." When the kids come around with MM or collecting for their yeshiva, you ask "Who is it?" and they say "Surname." Not "Yitzie Surname" or "Suri Surname," just "Surname." And for the most part they have very common ones, like Friedman, Stern, and Cohen, too.

Lol I'm remembering how when I was a kid my brother's friend called the house phone for him and asked to speak to "stern." I said "this is the stern house, which stern would you like to speak to?" And the friend said "uh... Uh... " Because he literally did not know my brother's name LOL

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 9:22 am
The two name thing is universal I believe to everyone who has one that isn't "standard" ( it doesn't happen to chaya Sara's or rochel leah's.)

I was so so frustrated by it, but it just never stopped. People just have mental blocks.

So I gave up. I started introducing myself by only one name when I moved to a new neighborhood.

Its the funniest thing human nature. People stopped messing up my name of course. But then what happened is that they heard dh or other family members refer to me by both names and lo and behold, now in order to show they know me and are a "better closer friend" people use both names correctly without me ever asking or correcting. Can't Believe It LOL Of course the closer people eventually ask about it and care to remember, but the above I am referring to more casual friendships.

I'm not suggesting that the way I handled it was right but it drove me nuts and that's what happened. Some people still call me the one name but fewer than before.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 9:23 am
amother Honeydew wrote:
Lol I'm remembering how when I was a kid my brother's friend called the house phone for him and asked to speak to "stern." I said "this is the stern house, which stern would you like to speak to?" And the friend said "uh... Uh... " Because he literally did not know my brother's name LOL

Very relatable, and what grade are you in being the follow up question Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette