Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Please read below before voting. Guest no precut TP
Previous  1  2  3  4

See OP
A  
 19%  [ 34 ]
B  
 80%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 171

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 6:49 pm
We have no eruv so I can't do this if invited for lunch, but when we go somewhere for Shabbos I bring some precut TP with me. I don't recall if I was ever stranded without any but have been places where there wasn't very much in the box and I was concerned about running out at an awkward moment.

If I get there early and see that there's none or not much, I will precut more if I see a roll somewhere.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 7:22 pm
I tell my guests no tissue no wipes no paper towel. From experience we know that only one kind of toilet paper goes down without clogging. If a guest would bring their own TP we would be doomed.

Our sewer guy visited us motzai pesach of a three day yontif. On a purim day. Several random evenings including 1 AM. Some things you don't want to repeat like watching him open the sewer at the corner in the dead of night and him climbing down to find what's stuck there (spoiler: baby wipes).

We know what works for our house, guests should not be taking chances with plumbing systems. Yes we tell them but sometimes they have their own ideas anyway.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 7:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Actually, I was the guest.
We were out for lunch and as I was in their bathroom. The Shabbos box was empty (maybe they forgot to refill enough before Shabbos, or maybe too many other guests uses too much before me).
I was now sitting on the toilet, with a roll of TP next to me, that I could rip derech shinoy, or tissues on the side of the sink (presumably for noses).
As I am a guest, I presumably know nothing of their systems.
It just made me wonder what the woman here would do.

(I also wonder how the difference would break down with age/socioeconomic/community/background-upbringing…)

Can you clarify what you mean when you write you "presumably know nothing of their systems"? You should know whether or not you were warned about their toilet. Is this a hypothetical?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 7:53 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Can you clarify what you mean when you write you "presumably know nothing of their systems"? You should know whether or not you were warned about their toilet. Is this a hypothetical?

I had written, erased, cut, and pasted my writing. I didn’t do the best job proofreading before I hit send.
I know nothing factual about their plumbing. I can tell you that the house looks newer, that people in the neighborhood tend to have some issues, but factually I know nothing about their plumbing.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I had written, erased, cut, and pasted my writing. I didn’t do the best job proofreading before I hit send.
I know nothing factual about their plumbing. I can tell you that the house looks newer, that people in the neighborhood tend to have some issues, but factually I know nothing about their plumbing.

Okay. So you were unclear on the specifics of their plumbing, but based on plumbing for similar homes in the neighborhood you were aware of a possibility that putting tissues in the toilet could damage their system? In that case, no way would I take the risk by putting tissues in the toilet.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:34 pm
What should a person do if they need to go #2 while being a guest and there’s not enough cut TP? I would be embarrassed to damage their plumbing and I would also be embarrassed to stink up the bathroom by throwing tissues covered in fecal matter into the garbage (even wrapped up in other tissues). And what about places where there is no garbage can in the bathroom? (Never understood that one TBH—does no one realize women may also need to throw out pads/tampons?!)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 3:16 am
You can rip TP off the perforated line.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 3:24 am
I don't understand what the problem is to throw tissues in the garbage?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 4:41 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
I don't understand what the problem is to throw tissues in the garbage?

Because poop covered tissues in the garbage is disgusting. It smells and it is unsanitary.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 4:52 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Because poop covered tissues in the garbage is disgusting. It smells and it is unsanitary.

And I thought I was a clean freak.
It's a bathroom. S*** happens. How is it unsanitary if it's IN the garbage?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 4:56 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

That's a knee jerk reaction. Think about it rationally.
Garbage is one place where unsanitary things belong. Dirty diapers are far more of an issue, especially in landfills. Covering the problem is what every mother does who puts dirty diapers in the trash (first covering them in a plastic bag).

People usually empty their garbage regularly.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 5:21 am
No it's actually disgusting to leave your poop in the bathroom unflushed. Gross to be emptying the garbage can with that in it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I tell my guests no tissue no wipes no paper towel. From experience we know that only one kind of toilet paper goes down without clogging. If a guest would bring their own TP we would be doomed.

Our sewer guy visited us motzai pesach of a three day yontif. On a purim day. Several random evenings including 1 AM. Some things you don't want to repeat like watching him open the sewer at the corner in the dead of night and him climbing down to find what's stuck there (spoiler: baby wipes).

We know what works for our house, guests should not be taking chances with plumbing systems. Yes we tell them but sometimes they have their own ideas anyway.

Telling is not enough. Post signs.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note