Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Colorado springs/pikes peak

sweetnsalty

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 7:20 am
Hi
Can anyone offer advice which would be the best way to get up the mountain? I'm a family of 10...so definitely drive or the train. Is it hard to breathe as the altitude changes? How steep is the train ride up? Is it scary to drive it with a 15 passenger van?
Any ideas, insights, information (I saw the site, looking for your experience) I'd really appreciate it

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 9:13 am
We drove a minivan up Mt. Evans, which is even higher than Pikes Peak. Driving up wasn't an issue at all. At the top though it suddenly hits you how thin the air is and how much harder it is to breathe. But that will be the same whether you drive or take the train. Just walk slowly at the top, and drink lots before you go.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 9:22 am
I don't think I'd feel comfortable driving a 15 passenger van up and down the mountain, but that's just me.
As I recall, the train ride is 2 hours each way. I remember little kids seated near me getting kind of bored as they don't appreciate the scenery--till you get to the top it isn't super exciting. Also no bathrooms on the train ( there are at the top) so bear that in mind if that's too long a wait for younger ones.
The scenery at the top is magnificent though.

sweetnsalty

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:00 pm
Tips to keep the toddlers and little kids busy if I take the train ride up?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:15 pm
sweetnsalty wrote:
Tips to keep the toddlers and little kids busy if I take the train ride up?

Nothing really. It's not like a regular train. It's very cramped and everyone needs to stay in their seats. I don't recommend it for toddlers or young children who will be bored for 2 hours. Also, the driver narrates most of the way and it's expected that the noise level stay down so people can hear.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:19 pm
The ride freaked me out ,and we weren't in a huge van!!! I would rather take the train! Its not for the faint of heart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics