Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why are they making Mattresses and Box Springs so high?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:08 pm
Why are they making Mattresses and Box Springs so high? Is there some advantage?

I got new mattresses and box springs lately and I told someone in a linen store that my mattresses are so high I feel like I need a ladder to get onto my bed, and Im 5' 5".The saleswoman (linen store) said she felt the same and made sure to ask for lower box springs.

How is everyone else managing with higher mattresses?

Is there an advantage of higher mattresses that Im not aware of?

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:11 pm
My mattress is higher because it has a euro top, but I don’t use a box spring and just have a platform bed. As it is it’s pretty high I can’t Imagine adding a box spring

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:20 pm
We love our high bed! My 3 year old can’t even get up here but we love watching him try!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:34 pm
Any advantages to the extra height, that I cant imagine?

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:39 pm
The illusion of opulence, luxury, comfort and exclusivity. People tend to believe that if a little is good, more is better. In reality, just as past a certain SPF increasing numbers are meaningless in a sunscreen, so, too, past a certain point, increasing mattress thickness is meaningless and does not spell greater comfort. There is no advantage unless you're a giant and have trouble bending. Well, no, I guess if you change a baby's diapers and fold laundry on the bed, a higher profile means you don't have to bend as far and ruin your back. (Of course you could just change the baby and fold laundry on the dresser.) Thicker mattresses spell greater difficulty making the bed and turning the mattress, and greater difficulty finding sheets that fit.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:40 pm
I have a high bed. Its comfy to sit, my legs dangle a bit but because the mattress is so high the sheets dont fit as nicely and its annoying!

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:57 am
I worked as a nurse in a pediatric office. We always got regular calls about 5-9 month olds falling/rolling off the bed. We started asking how tall the bed was. Some of those were really tall!

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:12 pm
I was wondering the same. Much higher than before. I forgot to ask the store if there's a way to lower the box spring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics