Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Weird to name same name as SIL's kid?
Previous  1  2

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 12:05 pm
IMHO It is really weird when cousins share names, especially with multiple cousins of similar ages share first and last names. But that's what's done in my husband's family so what can you do.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 5:16 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
IMHO It is really weird when cousins share names, especially with multiple cousins of similar ages share first and last names. But that's what's done in my husband's family so what can you do.

This is actually not weird at all. Many times children are named after a common ancestor, and with a few of the fathers being brothers, they will also share a last name.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 5:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
"Why can't I choose another name, or another middle name?"

I could! DH and I sat down last night and came up with several alternative middle names. (The first name I've really set my heart on using.) I like them ok, just not as much as the original one we were thinking.

Just use it. Trust yourself that this is your child’s intended name.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 5:20 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I only heard of this concept, of not naming the same as relatives, on imamother. Name your child what you like, who cares if your nephew has the same name? No one owns a name.

This! Since when are names copyright?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 5:22 pm
Look at the non Jewish world, thousands of kids share the name of the year every year.

Look at Jews naming after ancestors or tenach using the same few names over and over multiple times in each family.

Who made up that names need to be unique? It’s not a thing. Everyone is being ridiculous.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 5:24 pm
who cares
you can totally use the same name

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 6:16 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I only heard of this concept, of not naming the same as relatives, on imamother. Name your child what you like, who cares if your nephew has the same name? No one owns a name.

It’s a secular concept. In the mainstream frum world, it’s a non-issue

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:45 pm
When I think of "copying" I think of being in preschool when one kid would color her picture using the same colors as another kid and the kid who colored first would accuse the other of copying.

Once you reach adulthood, it's not copying. Does your sil think you would give your child a name to mock her or flatter her? As if you have no other considerations in giving your child a name???

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:47 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
It’s a secular concept. In the mainstream frum world, it’s a non-issue

It’s not. It’s normal to have the same names

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:21 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
It’s not. It’s normal to have the same names

That’s what I said. It’s a secular concept to NOT want the same names, read what I was responding to. Yiddishe families have tons of same names among cousins
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names