Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving out of town questions

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 9:59 pm
If we would want to move someone a few hours away or even 2 hours away, how does it work? You travel all the way there for an open house, then another 1-2 times before you move for other things? Then after you move to go back to your apartment for last minute odds and ends?

amother
Iris

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:05 pm
Moved both to and from NYC to NJ.
1. Went in to see the place. (Rented)
2. Possibly one other visit to get a cleaning lady
3. Packed up into moving trucks. Cleaned out the misc stuff and followed the truck.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:09 pm
we moved out of town, it was a 5 hour drive. we drove there twice before (once to look at housing and check out minyanim and food etc, and once more to look at housing again and to look at schools). Then we loaded the truck and moved.

When we moved in town years later, it was a 7 hour drive. Adults flew in for job interviews. When it was clear we got jobs, we drove in 2 times (each time looked at housing and shuls and did school interviews). Then once we were accepted we loaded the truck. He drove the truck and the car on a tow, I drove the kids in the minivan.

amother
Brickred

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:33 pm
If it's a possibility for you, I would rent first for a year to get a feel of neighborhoods, blocks etc

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:53 pm
We moved about 3 hrs away. We stayed there for a shabbos in December and asked our hosts if we could stay sat night too so we could see houses on Sunday. We got the names if the main frum realtors that sat night and we saw 3 houses on Sunday. We had arranged to visit the school that Friday. A week or 2 later we went up again to see 2 more houses. We had to drive back 3 different times for various school interviews. We closed on a home in april and moved at the end of june. We moved ourselves by doing a few drives back and forth over those key months before we moved in and renting a uhaul for the bigger items.

I know people say to rent first but I gotta say my house went up in value 100k within 6 months of buying it. I did get a very good deal, about 70k less than asking and did a conventional loan with 20% down for a quick and easy closing. Now after a year and 4 months, my Zestimate which can def be wrong, is 200k more than I paid. Had I rented the first year I would have never been able to get such a great deal for the space.

With current rates, I'd just buy and then refinance if and when they go down. For us it was more about the space and house than neighbors because everything is walkable in this oot area but we happened to get lucky with both.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating