Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is there a job you can do with baby/toddler in tow?
Previous  1  2

bnm

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 9:45 am
Most jobs arent workable with 2 kids in tow. Most 2 year are not content sitting in one place for a few hours.

You can find work from home jobs that are based on output, babysit from home or in a playgroup that allows you to bring along your own children or find an office with onsite daycare.

amother
Milk

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
What state do you live in that those are legal ratios?! In NJ is 1:4 for infants and 1:6 for toddlers. NY is 1:4 for infants and 1:5 for toddlers

Israel Smile

amother
Milk

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 2:43 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Babies and toddlers don't need 1:1 attention, they can easily share it. Think about it. You can easily read a book to 5 toddlers at a time, or sit at a lunch table with 4 toddlers, or even hold 2 bottles for infants at the same time. But reading a book to 4 toddlers is giving them more attention than handinf them a book to read while you're on a work call. And holding 2 bottles in babies mouths while their in the bouncers and talking to them while they eat is better than putting a bottle in your babys mouth while she's on your lap and typing with the other hand without looking at her. None of us doubt our ability to care for 3 or 4 of our own children at the same time, so why do we doubt daycares ability? (And yes, I insist on sending kids to places with legal ratios of 1:4 infants and 1:6 toddlers or better)

You can easily read a book to 5 preschoolers at a time. Toddlers will want more snuggles, you can read to 2-3 of them at the same time, not 5 (if you are talking about quality attention). You can sit at a lunch table with 4 toddlers at a time but you are likely to need to help them eat at least somewhat.

Holding 2 bottles in babies' mouths while they are in their bouncers is NOT better than holding baby on your lap while you work. Of course the babies need eye contact but you're not doing that well if you're feeding two babies at once, and one of the MOST important parts of infant feeding is that it happens on your lap, in your arms. Feeding a baby in a bouncer is little more than bottle-propping and it is NOT good for baby, at all. (Also, you can usually take a few minutes and look your baby in the eye and smile at your baby while s/he drinks the bottle. After the first few months babies usually drink bottles pretty fast, but even during those first months, if you have to work, you can usually stop and look at the baby every few minutes.)

We usually don't have 3 or 4 kids of the same age at a time, but daycares do. That's where the difference lies. You can take care of a 4yo and a 2yo and a 6yo and a baby well and at the same time (even if it's hard) but 4 babies simultaneously is completely different and you can't do that well.

Look I'm not saying that it's ideal to keep your baby at home while you work, all I'm saying is that the alternative is not better, and it may be worse. That's all.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 3:33 pm
thegiver wrote:
Why is there such an emphasis on professionalism in the Jewish community? If only we all embraced that our children are our life ,wouldn’t business owners allow women to bring their children to work with them and business relationships still thrive with sounds of children in the background during phone calls?

Not everyone frum works in the frum world. Thats one.
Second of all, may be surprising to you, but there are frum women who like working. And are even better mothers because they work. Yes, that really is a thing.
And thirdly, msny families can not survive solely on one salary so the wives/mothers have to work.
And no business could stay professional with the sound of children in the back ground.

chavi3

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 4:15 pm
Another milk pls Pm what job you have that is available thanks.

HappyMommy23

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 4:38 pm
Amother milk please PM me as well about the job. Thanks!

curlyhead

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 4:53 pm
Look into bring a virtual assistant.
My toddler would sleep 3 hours during the day and I would work then. They didn't go to bed till 9pm because they had a big nap

At one point I sent my toddler to a babysitter 9-11 then picked them up and put them to sleep for 2-3 hours. They gave me a big chunk of time to work.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 5:41 pm
I worked with a baby and toddler at home with me for 15 years. Here's how I did it. I took a flexible job that I could choose my hours as long as the work got done. Nap time was a must for 2 hours a day. I worked while they napped for 2 hours. Then I worked another 5 hours a day after I put them to bed in the evening. It was fine as long as the family was small and I didn't have teenagers who needed me in the evening. Then it stopped working. You can't burn the candle at both ends. My current toddler went out to a babysitter at the age of 15 months. I was devastated but guess what? He's doing really well there, he's happy and I'm calmer.

But one thing I will tell you. You cannot give your proper attention to your work if your kids are awake. It's simply impossible. It's not a matter of the employer being nice and having patience, it's about him wasting money employing someone who is incapable of giving full attention to the work. The most you can hope for is a nursery on site, many places in the UK have on site nurseries for staff and that can work. Your baby isn't with you but you can pop in and out to nurse etc.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:52 pm
I would say no. unless you're working at night when the kids are asleep. you can't concentrate on both children and a job. it's not fair to the job, the kids or you.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:03 pm
I worked for two professionals, did their laundry and cooking. I took along my kids, but told them they come first. I work very quickly and am pretty organized. It wasnt easy, but they were happy.

Years later I did a kiddie group and my toddler benefitted a lot from it. Also hard work, but was the best I can do.

Now I am looking for something new for the coming year to earn few $$ as my 2-1/2 is going to nursery and I have a little baby. I never used babysitters though. I'm ready to work part time or Sundays, as my girls are anyways home.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:01 am
To do a job with one young baby, if he/she isnt colicky and is ok sleeping or relaxing in a stroller half the day is realistic. Add an active toddler in the mix and it’s practically guaranteed you won’t be able to focus on your job.
Some work from home jobs can be done with kids, but you have to honest with your employer about how much of your hours you are actually working and how much is your kids needing you.

myname1

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:09 am
amother Milk wrote:
Where do you live? My workplace is likely looking for another person. We are remote but you must live in Israel and be legal to work here.

I'd also be interested to hear about this job Smile

shoshana-gr

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:15 am
amother Milk wrote:
Where do you live? My workplace is likely looking for another person. We are remote but you must live in Israel and be legal to work here.

would love to hear about this too!!

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 7:30 am
shoshana-gr wrote:
would love to hear about this too!!

A few details:
* you need to be legal to work in Israel, and living in Israel
* you need to be able to read and fully understand a Hebrew-language newspaper
* you need to be able to write in English, and write well
* you need to understand (somewhat, we will train you) Israeli politics
* you need to be able to commit to regular eight-hour shifts, either 7am-3pm or 3pm-11pm
* you need your own computer and a stable internet connection

If this is you I will PM, but since my job is so unique I don't want to out myself to anyone who isn't a good match.

shoshana-gr

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 7:35 am
amother Milk wrote:
A few details:
* you need to be legal to work in Israel, and living in Israel
* you need to be able to read and fully understand a Hebrew-language newspaper
* you need to be able to write in English, and write well
* you need to understand (somewhat, we will train you) Israeli politics
* you need to be able to commit to regular eight-hour shifts, either 7am-3pm or 3pm-11pm
* you need your own computer and a stable internet connection

If this is you I will PM, but since my job is so unique I don't want to out myself to anyone who isn't a good match.

yeah this suits me

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 8:01 am
shoshana-gr wrote:
yeah this suits me

Do you have an email (not your usual one) that you are willing to post here and I will email you with how to apply?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:28 pm
I was working with my baby at home when he was small, then when he got to about 8 months, I realized that I wasn't working properly and wasn't looking after him properly so no one was gaining from the arrangement. You can't always have it all

I do try to keep my kids home as much as possible and try to balance a healthy baby and healthy mommy together.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics