Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
S/O "yogurt is a luxury"
Previous  1  2  3

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:32 am
estherj wrote:
It depends. Dr Pragers fish sticks used to be our go to cheap option for a snack/light lunch. Now they are $15 a box and are off our list. 1.29 for the occasional yogurt is reasonable. If the kids are polishing off 30 a week that’s close to $2000 a year and that’s out of our budget.

OMG! I haven't thought about it that way. We eat a lot of yogurt in our house, but at 1.29 (minimum) , they are probably costing us something in that range onan annual basis.

I've tried making my own yogurt before-- I could never get the flavor or consistency just right. If you anyway eat plain yogurt, it's probably worthwhile to make it, but for me, it wasn't worth it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:46 am
hodeez wrote:
We get the tub of plain Greek and I sweeten with jam. Kids love it, tastes good and they enjoy swirling it and making the yogurt pink

What jam? Which one works well and tastes good in yogurt?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:15 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

Any jam of your choice.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:00 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

I prefer maple syrup

a2z

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:18 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
OMG! I haven't thought about it that way. We eat a lot of yogurt in our house, but at 1.29 (minimum) , they are probably costing us something in that range onan annual basis.

I've tried making my own yogurt before-- I could never get the flavor or consistency just right. If you anyway eat plain yogurt, it's probably worthwhile to make it, but for me, it wasn't worth it.

There are yogurt makers

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:37 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
Personally I don't think yogurts are a luxury. I think most normal homes have yogurts in the fridge on a regular basis. If I had to cut down on something yogurt wouldn't be the first thing I would cut in a house full of kids.

How does it help to say what's normally done when it's also normal within the same crowd to be drowning in debt or struggling majorly with finances? Changes have to start somewhere.

A big yogurt container where I live costs about half the amount per ounce compared to individual servings of yogurts.

For people looking to economize, it might make sense to choose different yogurt containers, especially if they are eaten so frequently.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:44 pm
Normal is relative. One poster says yogurt isn't the thing she'd cut down on. But is it something you'd add? If someone doesn't buy it or only buys it as a treat so not a lot per week - why should the world convince her it's so basic she must have it?

Yogurt is a luxury. We don't have chicken or fish evet night because its expensive too.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 5:18 pm
a2z wrote:
There are yogurt makers

One doesn't even need them. I sometimes make big batches of plain yogurt in our normal chalavi oven. Ingredients: 2 liters of milk, 1 small Danone yogurt. Bring the milk to a boil on the gas range first, let it cool down to just below yad soledet bo, stir in the yogurt, put into several glass jars, put them in the oven at 45 C for 3-4 hours, done. The 45 C I don't even measure, I just give the oven a twist every now and then and feel the jars with my hand. Works like magic, and the resulting yogurt can be used to grow future batches for several rounds.
The yogurt is quite firm and a bit grainier/lumpier than commercial one, but that's fine with me. The longer it is in the oven, the firmer and more acidic it gets.
Advantage: Cheaper than yogurt in Israel (excluding leben but that's not "real" yogurt, it's grown with different cultures). Also, I like huge amounts of yogurt, have no problem downing half a liter/500 grams in one go Cool
Oh, yeah, my kids like no plain yogurt, bought or homemade. So, more for me.

Last edited by BadTichelDay on Sun, Jul 30 2023, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dahlia

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 5:20 pm
stardream wrote:
I think she meant it literally. I stopped buying yogurt, lettuce bags, and juice on a regular basis. I still will buy them occasionally but they are not something we always have in our house anymore. As others said, many yogurts have so much sugar they are not that healthy anyways. It doesn't mean that you should also stop, you need to do what works for you. I for sure buy other things that others would consider extras.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was serious when I said thanks. In sorry if it came across sarcastic.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains