Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshivat Mekor Chaim in Baltimore

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 3:35 pm
Looking for some feedback on this yeshivah. Does anyone on here send their boys there? TIA!

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 3:46 pm
My friend teaches there, and I know someone else who sent a kid to the opening class. Happy to find out answers for you!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 4:31 pm
I have friends who sent, friends who sent and left, and friends who wanted to send but weren't accepted. Hit me up with questions!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 5:41 pm
Is it known to be a very academic school?
What's the overall hashkafa of the school?
Which yeshivot do the boys go to after highschool?
Are teachers/rebbeim warm?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 7:52 am
Bump

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 9:30 am
I don’t know much but from what I gather it’s a great school with solid academics and other extracurriculars. I know at least one of the rebbeim and he’s wonderful, kids love him. The boys who go there are mostly from OCA (centrist MO) but there are occasionally some TA (more to the right) and I think BT (coed, more to the left) graduates who go there. The kids I know who have gone or are going are nice boys from solid homes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 9:49 am
amother Pansy wrote:
I don’t know much but from what I gather it’s a great school with solid academics and other extracurriculars. I know at least one of the rebbeim and he’s wonderful, kids love him. The boys who go there are mostly from OCA (centrist MO) but there are occasionally some TA (more to the right) and I think BT (coed, more to the left) graduates who go there. The kids I know who have gone or are going are nice boys from solid homes.

Thank you!!!

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:07 am
Hi, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. After I posted my offer, I realized that I can't really say anything specific or definitive because I have 0 first hand experience.

As an outside observer, I can say that it is a good school. They are currently trying to rebrand themselves-Rabbi Silber is now the Rosh Yeshiva-or some title like that. It would be helpful to talk to him or principals etc to find out exactly what they are looking for.

When you make inquiries, make sure to speak to people who can give you very recent information because it seems to have changed over the past year or so.

One thing to consider is that TA high school has improved a lot within the past few years. Many of the TA boys are staying there which leaves a smaller pool of good TA boys to attend Mekor Chaim.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:19 am
I don't have personal experience with YMC, although I do know one of the Rebbeim, who is wonderful, and have a son who just finished 8th grade in Baltimore. Although TA mesivta has definitely improved and has a really solid class for next year, there are TA boys going to YMC for 9th grade. My understanding is that generally those are boys who are more into sports and are more to the the left of TA hashkafically.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 4:41 pm
Thank you so much to those who responded! If anyone has first hand experience with this yeshivah please let me know!

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:01 pm
When people are talking about rebranding is it becoming more yeshivish? I thought it was supposed to be more secular academic but from an interview I read with rabbi silber it sounds like it’s leaning towards more yeshivish (MO yeshivish if that makes sense but still a lot more “geshmak” than what I thought it has originally opened to be).

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 11:21 am
I don't send there, but I know a boy who just graduated from there. The student body is more MO.

I do know 2 of the Rabbaim. They are warm and seem well liked. The Rabbaim are NOT MO.

Lanis801

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 1:47 pm
I'm going to post under my own username since anyone from Baltimore would be able to figure out that I'm the one posting anyway. OP, you can feel free to PM me. I have a son that graduated from YMC and another that is entering the 9th-grade class.

We have overall been quite happy with our experience thus far. The rabbeim at YMC are amazing. Top-notch. Really, cannot say enough about them. The general studies program has also overall been very strong. Of course, all of the Jewish schools struggle with staffing but I am beyond satisfied with the education he received in all facets.

The graduates are attending Mevaseret, Torat Shraga, Lev HaTorah, and those types of yeshivas in Israel. My son and a few others will go to YU, iy'h, one or two will go to the University of MD and others may be in local colleges. Many of the boys received academic scholarships to college.

It is a small school which we have found to be beneficial, but obviously, a kid who wants 40 kids in a class won't get that experience. There was an administration change last year but in terms of haskafa, it is not becoming yeshivish. Their goal, as they explained it to us, is to align more with some of the more righter-wing "yeshiva-league" schools - DRS, Mesivta of Philadelphia, etc.

A lot of the incoming class is from OCA but there are others from TA, and I believe other schools as well, perhaps some who are relocating to Baltimore.

There is a strong basketball program at YMC and plans to add other extra-curriculars this year as well.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions and I'm happy to chat offline.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating