Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
I feel a bit bad to inconvenience people
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 5:29 pm
Peanut allergies are so common that I make it a habit to never send anything with actual peanuts to playgroup.

I hope you alerted the moros to look out for peanut foods in the other kids' lunches. They should simply have the kids put those foods back to eat at home.

You can use Dandies marshmallows.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 5:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
One thing I have learned since I started my journey is that there are many chilukei dayos amongst doctors on every single aspect of this.

My doctor claims that allergens do not pass through the mothers milk.
Also that there's no such thing as airborne, aside from cooking fish.
Also that there is no such thing as a potato allergy (although I have nephews from two different families on my husband's side who have severe potato allergy ). But he claims it doesn't exist.

Vert hard to trust a doctor like this. What are you still with him? My kids had terrible eczema that completely disappeared when I stopped eating what they were allergic to. They were exclusively breastfed.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 5:35 pm
I don't have any allergic kids but guess what, I do realise that no parent chooses for their kid to have an allergy. So sure, its a tiny bit difficult that my kids can't bring peanuts to school, but I think how much more difficult it would be for my kid to have an allergy and bh mine don't.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
One thing I have learned since I started my journey is that there are many chilukei dayos amongst doctors on every single aspect of this.

My doctor claims that allergens do not pass through the mothers milk.
Also that there's no such thing as airborne, aside from cooking fish.
Also that there is no such thing as a potato allergy (although I have nephews from two different families on my husband's side who have severe potato allergy ). But he claims it doesn't exist.

My sister had allergy testing as a child and one of the foods that came up was potatoe

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 6:27 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Vert hard to trust a doctor like this. What are you still with him? My kids had terrible eczema that completely disappeared when I stopped eating what they were allergic to. They were exclusively breastfed.

I liked him better than the one I used before . He also helped my son's eczema clear up completely for a long time. It came back back I stopped following the protocol.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 6:46 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Peanut allergies are so common that I make it a habit to never send anything with actual peanuts to playgroup.

I hope you alerted the moros to look out for peanut foods in the other kids' lunches. They should simply have the kids put those foods back to eat at home.

You can use Dandies marshmallows.

Found Dandies! Thank you!

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 7:00 pm
Weighing in as a mother of an allergy kid:

I am a big fan of tree nut and peanut free schools.

I am very grateful that my son’s school is tree nut free, even though it is not sesame free and egg free and those are also his allergies.

I find it helpful not to have to worry about tree nuts BH. It creates a baseline of understanding about allergies that is so important.

And yes I do speak to his teachers about his other allergies.

I requested that his camp be tree nut and sesame free. But it’s not perfect. I’m not sure that they were/will be. But it’s ok for me to ask. (Small camp).

There are many times when he is excluded due to allergies.

Although there are times when people go out of their way to include him and that means so much.

Safety and inclusion are important for allergy kids although of course safety is more important.

OP,
I never heard that about not needing the hospital after epi.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 7:10 pm
One more thing:
There are books made for preschoolers to explain about allergies. You can read them to your child’s class.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 8:05 pm
To the ima above who tested allergic to potatoes, my brother also tested positive for a potato allergy and I thought that was really odd. It seemed like the most innocuous of foods. Then, I noticed that every time I cooked potatoes, my hands itched a lot after I handled them. So, it's probably familial. Although my kids didn't have food allergies, their cousins and friends did. I was always really careful about foods we served and sent to school. Now, I have a grandchild with food allergies. For the moms who are being extra accommodating for the others, you are modeling really caring behavior and you may also be saving a child from life threatening complications.

juggling

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:16 pm
Amother broom, and anyone else saying peanuts are "most likely to cause an airborne reaction" where are you getting your information? I don't believe this is factual. Everything I found in a google search indicated otherwise. From what I can tell there is very little, if any, evidence to support this assertion. You can insist it's true, but that doesn't make it so.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:22 pm
juggling wrote:
Amother broom, and anyone else saying peanuts are "most likely to cause an airborne reaction" where are you getting your information? I don't believe this is factual. Everything I found in a google search indicated otherwise. From what I can tell there is very little, if any, evidence to support this assertion. You can insist it's true, but that doesn't make it so.

I'm saying that out of the food allergies the ones that can be more commonly associated with an airborne reaction are peanuts/nuts. I am not saying it happens to everyone but rather these allergies are more at risk for it than say for example egg or soy allergies etc... And there have been stories (that airplane story is true and you can search it) where people have reacted without having to touch the food or even be that close to it.

Edited: while there is research that says it's not an issue, there is also research that indicates it is. "Conclusions: Allergic reactions to peanuts and tree nuts caused by accidental ingestion, skin contact, or inhalation occur during commercial flights, but airline personnel are usually not notified. Reactions can be severe, requiring medications, including epinephrine. (J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999;103:186-9.)"

juggling

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Broom wrote:
I'm saying that out of the food allergies the ones that can be more commonly associated with an airborne reaction are peanuts/nuts. I am not saying it happens to everyone but rather these allergies are more at risk for it than say for example egg or soy allergies etc... And there have been stories (that airplane story is true and you can search it) where people have reacted without having to touch the food or even be that close to it.

I understand what you're saying and I'm saying as far as I'm aware it isn't true.

For whatever reason there is a misconception that peanuts are most likely of all allergens to cause an airborne reaction. There does not appear to be any evidence that this is the case.

If anything, from what I have seen both anecdotally and in any articles I've read, there seems to be more evidence of airborne reactions to fish, eggs, and dairy, than to peanuts. This may or may not be due to the fact that true airborne reactions generally happen when there is steam in the air caused by cooking the allergen. The smell itself of peanut butter may be a strong smell, but it releases a miniscule amount of protein into the air, and is very unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. Not impossible, but very unlikely

juggling

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:30 pm
Again, you can state that it's true, but you haven't brought a single source that indicates it is. Meanwhile any studies I've seen quoted indicate that it isn't true.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:31 pm
juggling wrote:
I understand what you're saying and I'm saying as far as I'm aware it isn't true.

For whatever reason there is a misconception that peanuts are most likely of all allergens to cause an airborne reaction. There does not appear to be any evidence that this is the case.

If anything, from what I have seen both anecdotally and in any articles I've read, there seems to be more evidence of airborne reactions to fish, eggs, and dairy, than to peanuts. This may or may not be due to the fact that true airborne reactions generally happen when there is steam in the air caused by cooking the allergen. The smell itself of peanut butter may be a strong smell, but it releases a miniscule amount of protein into the air, and is very unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. Not impossible, but very unlikely

I'm not a doctor so I am just speaking on what I have heard from people or read in the news. I edited my above post.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:37 pm
juggling wrote:

Yes I have heard fish ones can cause airborne reactions to. Maybe I just have seen more peanut allergies that are more serious than other ones and so it's in my head how dangerous they are.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics