Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who Remembers Chicago
Previous  1  2

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:22 am
I was under the impression that Jewel brought down Kol Touhy...

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:57 am
Marshall is still around just in a different (not so central) location and business name. We still use him Smile

I think bais Yaakov parochial school moved to JDBY in December/chanuka of 95. I was in second grade at the time. I sometimes drive by the old Granville building..a few years ago it was a school. When I passed it a few months ago.... It was a church. Sad

And now the new building is a totally different building then it was. Bh they've expanded and expanded again. I still have a hard time remembering the main entrance is at what used to be the back. My default is still the Peterson entrance and then they tell me oh your meeting at the main office and I'm always confused for a second and then oh. Oh right. Yeah the new one.

Thillens is still there, tho they took down the baseball and replaced it with a very odd red.... statue thingy a few years ago.

I actually ran into Mrs Berman a couple years ago. She was touring my workplace (and is actually now on the board) and I was cracking up thinking of her lipstick and apple! I don't think she remembered me tho she was tickled to meet an old student regardless.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:02 am
“Rice with brown sauce” from mitzuyan- a classic lunch when I was in HSBY. Or a deli sandwich from “New York kosher”
Speaking of HSBY- who remembers Mr. Mix, Rabbi abramchiks office off of the library, “rebitzen” alav hashalom, Bronya, Mr Broderick, and mrs Chani Friedman? Erev Shiras?
Those were some of the best years of my life.
Sad that devon fell apart - so many nice stores and Restuarant’s closed , Jerusalem, mi tzu yan (my favorite), kosher karry, Rosen’s pharmacy, the 2 book stores, Blaustein’s “everything” store, that barber shop…
Speaking of restaurants that closed:
Slice of life
Hi life bistro
Malibu pizza
Bugsys
Danalis
Lamisada
Subway
King Solomon
Bebe’s deli
Metro klub
Ronnie’s
The one with the big baseball on devon

… and dozens more unfortunately.

Who remembers when frum families lived in Albany park?
Some other memories:
Marshall fields
The bulls Michael Jordan era in the 90s
The old YTT building on California
The movie theater, gap outlet, and Kmart at the devon and kimball intersection
Lincolnwood town center (waldenbooks, KAYBEE toys, rave, carimar, Carson’s, that photography studio?)
Who remembers Illinois nut on Lincoln?
Mrs Greenbergs and mrs Friedman’s kids clothing stores in their basements in Peterson park?
Northwestern food on the corner of Peterson and Lincoln intersection?
Speaking of northeastern- who remembers northeastern driving school on California near Tel Aviv pizza? I think the driving teachers name was John.
How about that cute coffee shop in evanston called “kaffien”- I remember a bunch of friends and I pretending it was kosher because the guy behind the counter would say so lol.
How about discovery zone?
Camp bnos (mrs teller the director)- and going to the ymca to swim indoors ?
Haircuts at hairbase (which is still in existence I believe).
Who remembers that orthodontist on Pratt and California ? I forgot his name.
And dr Hankin
Catching fireflies in the summer
Omg my mind is racing thinking about all of this !!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:04 am
amother Lilac wrote:
OMG!!! this brings back memories! yes for Jerusalem's macaroni. you've described the teachers perfectly. here's some more that come to mind. Mrs lewis and her little glasses on a necklace. mrs berman and her milllions of stickers, and during recess putting on her lipstick after she finishes her apple. and fluffing her curly hair. mrs goldsmith and mrs gruner (was that her name) besties 7th grade english - short and tall match walking together? Mrs goldsmith reading straight from the actual test during reviews, mrs gruner and her mad minutes, and DOL (or whatever those math riddles were called, I still have the notebook!) Mrs shabbat and those fun computer classes - carmen sandiego, power point games...gym with mrs sherman! art with mrs giffin (sewing our very own biz skirts)

Mrs goldsmith taught us how to croquet and let us do our scarves during class ! And would polish her nails during class (deep red for winter and white for spring)

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:14 am
Linen I remember a lot but not all of that. I'm assuming I'm younger then you.

My kids still catch fireflies!! Just yesterday I had one very disappointed child when I said it's really bedtime now and they only caught 2.

Jerusalem pizza closed when I was in hsby. That was a very sad time.

Mrs murik and my grade had the same last year in JDBY.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:46 am
Linen, I remember so much of what you posted!! I didn't realize ALL those restaurants are gone. I though at least Slice and Hy Life were still around...

Speaking of stores on Devon and Kimbal, who remembers when Chicago had an Amazing Savings?? I loved shopping there with my mother!

Also, don't know which orthodontist you were referring to but many of my friends and I used Dr Sakols.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:20 am
amother Denim wrote:
Linen, I remember so much of what you posted!! I didn't realize ALL those restaurants are gone. I though at least Slice and Hy Life were still around...

Speaking of stores on Devon and Kimbal, who remembers when Chicago had an Amazing Savings?? I loved shopping there with my mother!

Also, don't know which orthodontist you were referring to but many of my friends and I used Dr Sakols.

It was dr sakols! I had forgotten his name, since I didn’t need braces bh. Sadly I heard he needed to retire early due to altzheimers.

I remember amazing savings ! In Lincoln village. I believe there was another movie theater in that area where Ross is now. And in the corner there was an Office Depot or office max which is currently tj Maxx. And somewhere in the back, near the gap outlet, was a party city.
I still wish amazing savings would come back!
Anyone remember that funky furniture store on the southeast corner of Peterson and st Louis?
Who remembers when bais yaakov would have an annual bbq each summer in the open area of Peterson park ?
How about when Dominicks was on Pratt and Kedzie? Who else was grossed out by that lobster tank ?! Yuck
Dominick’s eventually moved to the corner of Pratt and McCormick but since closed and is now a Walmart pickup and warehouse.
Who remembers the old Antonia spitzer Jewish library
And how about mrs smalls silver store next to
Kens on Dempster.
Hollywood video on Lincoln and drake ? Now a dollar tree
Blockbuster on Lincoln - now a pet store. Omg the memories.
Jewish concerts that miriam schreiber arranged. And how about when the hanna sacks erev shiras were in Mather high?

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:38 pm
amother Denim wrote:

Same! Was it in the plaza behind JDBY?
Who remembers Borders?

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 9:40 pm
amother Linen wrote:
It was dr sakols! I had forgotten his name, since I didn’t need braces bh. Sadly I heard he needed to retire early due to altzheimers.

I remember amazing savings ! In Lincoln village. I believe there was another movie theater in that area where Ross is now. And in the corner there was an Office Depot or office max which is currently tj Maxx. And somewhere in the back, near the gap outlet, was a party city.
I still wish amazing savings would come back!
Anyone remember that funky furniture store on the southeast corner of Peterson and st Louis?
Who remembers when bais yaakov would have an annual bbq each summer in the open area of Peterson park ?
How about when Dominicks was on Pratt and Kedzie? Who else was grossed out by that lobster tank ?! Yuck
Dominick’s eventually moved to the corner of Pratt and McCormick but since closed and is now a Walmart pickup and warehouse.
Who remembers the old Antonia spitzer Jewish library
And how about mrs smalls silver store next to
Kens on Dempster.
Hollywood video on Lincoln and drake ? Now a dollar tree
Blockbuster on Lincoln - now a pet store. Omg the memories.
Jewish concerts that miriam schreiber arranged. And how about when the hanna sacks erev shiras were in Mather high?

I remember most of this, including the nauseating lobster tank at Domincks.

Yes, Dr Sakols retired early due to Alzheimer's and unfortunately passed away.

No one can forget Shalom from the Jewish library!! And all those super old books in the red hardcover. I remember watching uncle pinchy videos in the library there.

And who remembers Mentchie the clown!!!

How about the awful public library on California?? Was it ever remodeled? They were so mean and not child friendly there, and such a bad selection!

In addition to Miriam's Schreiber's concerts, I remember the publication she used to put out (forgot what she called it). Also, the Only Ads. Anyone remember Chicago before they started publishing the Acheinu directory??

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 10:01 pm
amother Denim wrote:

No one can forget Shalom from the Jewish library!! And all those super old books in the red hardcover. I remember watching uncle pinchy videos in the library there.

How about the awful public library on California?? Was it ever remodeled? They were so mean and not child friendly there, and such a bad selection!

In addition to Miriam's Schreiber's concerts, I remember the publication she used to put out (forgot what she called it). Also, the Only Ads. Anyone remember Chicago before they started publishing the Acheinu directory??

It was awful! They've now moved to the corner of Western and Pratt to a new building, about 4 years ago, but the old building is still empty, for some reason.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Denim wrote:

The Jewish Image?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 10:53 pm
amother Denim wrote:

I was the producer of both Only Ads (which became the Voice of Chicago) and Acheinu through this past year.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 12:49 am
amother Currant wrote:
It was awful! They've now moved to the corner of Western and Pratt to a new building, about 4 years ago, but the old building is still empty, for some reason.

It’s actually being used to house refugees now
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating