Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
The Triggering dc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 11:06 am
My daughter, who is now older has given me a lot of aggravation throughout the years, and although she has improved, there is still progress to be made.

I find myself getting triggered by her actions repeatedly, and it's been a source of ongoing struggle for me . I wanna learn how other parents handle their children when they are triggering. As I wanna maintain a loving relationship with my child without allowing my emotions to overwhelm me. I often feel guilty, fearing that my reactions might impact our relationship negativly, and I genuinely wish to change this dynamic.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on how to give more of myself to my child while I'm dealing with this, and improve our relationship, even when we don't always see eye - to- eye and have significant differences. It's especially challenging because my child's behavior reminds me of a family member who abused me in the past, intensifying my emotions.

I would deeply appreciate any guidance, experiences, or coping strategies you can share.
However, I kindly ask that your responses be sensitive to this delicate nature of this situation, as it's a sensitive topic for me.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:15 pm
did I write this???? I have two triggering children. One triggers me with Oppositional Defiance Disorder, arguing with me every step of the way. The other triggers me with aggression and violence (I was physically abused by my parents). We're in family therapy every Tuesday. Generally the therapist meets with me and my son. IF my daughter participates, great. If not, at least we can talk ABOUT the triggers. Sometimes my husband is home early enough to jump in at the end as well. Family therapy in the home is the BEST. Anything where it's about my childhood, I send the teens upstairs. The therapy helps me to see their progress and see their good points and love them for who they are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)