Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The bank took it all!!
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 12:29 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Interesting. In israel they can until one has paid the debt.

Are you sure they don't have to actually reduce it to a judgment?

Because otherwise there is no protection from anyone claiming that you owe money.

A judgement is obtained when the creditor shows proof that the debt is owed and the debtor has the ability to defend themselves. Although a lot of the time the debtor just ignores the notices and so the judgment is by default.

It is hard to imagine that Israel doesn't have similar rights of due process before someone can deprive a person of their property.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 12:34 pm
Too late for op but PSA for others, after a few years of you reach out to the bank, they’ll usually let you pay off the debt for way less than you actually owe as long as you pay the full amount right then. It’s a good way to get rid of debt so it won’t come back to haunt you like this.

I’ve experienced my account being seized by the bank under a court order and it was so disorienting and scary. I’m sorry you’re going through this OP. Financial struggles are so awful.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:01 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Interesting. In israel they can until one has paid the debt.

That doesn't happen without prior warning.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:04 pm
Get a pro bono lawyer and you might be able to get that money back.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree. My dh takes care of all the financials, so I really don’t know.
PLEASE don't let him take care of all the financials. It's your life too. You need to know what's going on.

Something here is very wrong. Please contact a lawyer and start checking your credit reports and financial statements.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
PLEASE don't let him take care of all the financials. It's your life too. You need to know what's going on.

Something here is very wrong. Please contact a lawyer and start checking your credit reports and financial statements.

She didn't really explain what was going on.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:32 pm
This doesn't just happen without a very good reason. Your husband "does all the financials" and you don't really know what's up? I'm sorry to say, he's up to something. There is something happening financially that he isn't telling you.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:38 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
This doesn't just happen without a very good reason. Your husband "does all the financials" and you don't really know what's up? I'm sorry to say, he's up to something. There is something happening financially that he isn't telling you.

That doesn't have to be the case. My husband does the financials too and doesn't involve me because I don't like to be involved. It's too stressful for me. If OP asks him and he refuses to discuss or gives vague answers, that's another story.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
That’s the very strange part, our credit score is perfectly fine. We don’t own anything!! Can’t afford it! Crying

It makes more sense that the IRS or the state seized money owed to them for taxes via a levy.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:07 pm
Do you have a judgment against you op?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:52 pm
We once had our account seized. It ended up being for a person with the same name. When I showed that the address and social didn't match they took of the lien.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 12:00 am
The only way the debt would disappear is by filing for bankruptcy and then you wouldn't be able to get credit or a loan for a number of years as the bankruptcy is a black mark on your credit report. In many states you can even keep your house, car, etc. Laws regarding bankruptcy vary from state to state.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 12:31 am
Is there such thing as a frum Legal Aid Society? If not, call one near you.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 2:27 am
I believe the IRS can take money from your bank account without a judgement. I know someone it happened to.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 7:47 am
Op do yiu live in the tri state area? I believe there is an organization who helps with this sort of thing. Our business failed about 10 years ago and we had lots of debt that they got forgiven and fought on our behalf for.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:32 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
That doesn't have to be the case. My husband does the financials too and doesn't involve me because I don't like to be involved. It's too stressful for me. If OP asks him and he refuses to discuss or gives vague answers, that's another story.
You still should be checking on your finances periodically. What if something Ch"V happens suddenly to your husband and you have no idea what's going on?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 11:04 am
amother Peony wrote:
Op do yiu live in the tri state area? I believe there is an organization who helps with this sort of thing. Our business failed about 10 years ago and we had lots of debt that they got forgiven and fought on our behalf for.

Yes, do you have a name and number please?

devo1982

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 2:32 pm
OP, something isn't adding up here - you say that you got the loan, but then the money was taken because you have CC debt that's over 15 years old but your credit is fine? What is fine? Because a debt that long-standing, presumably accruing interest, would most definitely show up on your score. Please look into things on your own and try to understand what's happening instead of just letting your husband handle everything, because this doesn't make much sense as presented. I hope you find answers and are able to get yourself on a good financial footing soon.

benny

Post Sat, Aug 12 2023, 9:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, do you have a name and number please?

Pm me. I have the name and #.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics