Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working part time- how many hours is the magic number?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:29 am
If you work part time and feel like your managing, not usually overwhelmed or resentful, are happy and have time for yourself and your family & have 6+ kids ... How many hours do you work?

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:39 am
I work 18 hours a week now, it’s still a lot but I do feel like I can manage it.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:41 am
20-22
Added flexibility for Dr appts and sick days

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:41 am
I don’t have 6+ kids but what works really nicely for me is having Fridays off, another day of the week fully off and I use that for scheduled appointments and anything that takes time that’s easier to do without the kids, and getting home at least an hour before my kids on the three days I do work.

As others said, it works out to around 20 hours

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:45 am
5 kids
15 hours

Never tried more
Think id be in over my head if I tried.
I know ppl who work more hours probably think this is a joke, but for the lack of help I get and the difficulties in my life, I really can't do more easily

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:01 am
I work 20 hours and I have 5 kids. It feels manageable. I have some time while kids are in school to get stuff done.

I used to work more hours and it was very hard.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:05 am
I think the make it or break it is having some time that you’re not working but the kids are out of the house, more than an amount of hours

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:23 am
I work 16 hrs. Mon-Thurs

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:37 am
20 was always my magic number. I like being off on Thursday rather than Friday. I feel that it’s better for errands and appointments. Hard to accomplish much on Friday when the kids come home earlier.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:54 am
I technically work 10. But I also spend over 2 hours in the car driving carpool between morning and afternoon so I don’t really feel like I have enough time to myself. And I’m expecting so just depleted and exhausted 😴

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:58 am
Quote:
I think the make it or break it is having some time that you’re not working but the kids are out of the house, more than an amount of hours

Yes, this is a much bigger deal than the actual amount of hours. I work about 10-15 hours a week but I have an 8 month old home with me. I also have my kids home during all vacations or when anyone is sick. Basically I am never home by myself. And no I'm not managing. My house is a mess, I have tons of basic appointments I need to take care of, and I am constantly stressed out.
But that is a decision I made so that I can be home with my babies at this stage in my life. And if I had to pay for babysitting/daycare, I'd probably have to be working another 15 hours a week minimum to afford it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics