Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What does your very yeshivish 16 year old son do as a hobby

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:57 am
My son loves to learn and would learn day and night if he could. I’d like to help him out with social skills and just in general to do things other than learning. He wouldn’t go to a bowling alley but I have no clue what else to do since he is not comfortable going to a lot of places due to tznius reasons for him a straight yeshiva bochur . For mothers with kids like this can you give me ideas of ways to broaden his mind a and help him socialize.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:58 am
Guitar

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:59 am
Ds has a friend that fixes all the bikes in the neighborhood. He makes money, interacts with kids, and has something constructive to do I'm his free time.

My kids play sports and go to the gym

amother
OP

amother Periwinkle wrote:
Guitar

Ty! But what about the socializing part

amother
Coral

Chess

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ty! But what about the socializing part

It will help him with socializing
Ime the boys in yeshiva who are into music (especially in dorm yeshivas) end up kind of gravitating towards each other, playing together etc

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:03 pm
Ime the boys in yeshiva who are into music (especially in dorm yeshivas) end up kind of gravitating towards each other, playing together etc

This. playing guitar and anything else if he’s musical will help him spend time with other kids that also do that.
Is he interested in earning money? Can he give haircuts? Do binding of seforim? Does he like to Lein?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:06 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
This. playing guitar and anything else if he’s musical will help him spend time with other kids that also do that.
Is he interested in earning money? Can he give haircuts? Do binding of seforim? Does he like to Lein?

Yes loves to lein but I’m trying to steer him more toward something not yiddishkeit related (yikes that sounds bad lol)and more social

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:07 pm
My son is almost 14.
He plays keyboard and piano.

It's social because, for example, when he had some time after lunch, he played piano in yeshiva and some boys joined.

But he's in 9th and their Rebbe told them not to learn during lunch as they just started a grueling schedule. They need to adapt.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:08 pm
Keyboard - not very sociable
We live OOT and he's actually dorming now.
When he's home he socializes in Shul after davening and gets together with his former classmates - they'll go get pizza or something. But in general he doesn't spend too much time socializing.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:10 pm

I’ve found the opposite. Practicing and playing is done more on their own and it’s somewhat more isolating than some other hobbies…

My ds is into sports, he’s been playing in leagues for a few years and loves it.

imthatawesome

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:17 pm
What about volunteering? Going to sing for sick kids, packaging for tomchei shabbos, cooking for hospitals/ppl in need. Most volunteer work is done with others so he’ll have the social aspect and you’ll have an easier time convincing him to do it since it’s a mitzvah

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:19 pm
Chess
Basketball
Football
Keyboard
Draw
Paint
Blender

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:22 pm
My son is like this.
His rebbe advised him to
1. Go to the nursing home and visit with residents.
2. Ride a bike.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son loves to learn and would learn day and night if he could. I’d like to help him out with social skills and just in general to do things other than learning. He wouldn’t go to a bowling alley but I have no clue what else to do since he is not comfortable going to a lot of places due to tznius reasons for him a straight yeshiva bochur . For mothers with kids like this can you give me ideas of ways to broaden his mind a and help him socialize.

During the year my 16 yo son socializes in yeshiva. He doesn't really have time for anything else.

In the summer in camp.

On shobbos he has a Friday and shobbod afternoon chavrusa and socializes with him.

Bein hazmanim and off shobbosim he goes to learn and then helps around the house and socializes with his famlly. He bike rides to other parts of town (Lakewood) to meet up with his friends from his shuir, and very rarely - from elementary . Learning is actually pretty social as lots of neighborhood boys are there.
He also reads, but that's not social.

His shuir regularly arranges kumzitzs and get togethers, including bowling, during off shobbos and bein hazmanim. These aren't his thing but he goes to be social.

Honestly, he's dropped most of his hobbies he had as a boy. I think only those very into their hobbies keep them, if they have heavy learning schedules.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes loves to lein but I’m trying to steer him more toward something not yiddishkeit related (yikes that sounds bad lol)and more social

My DS that was like that is now grown. But the leining can be social and he also taught Bar Mitzvah boys to lein-also social. He was always into sports so that helps. Is your DS?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:47 pm
It’s fine for hobbies to be yiddishkeit related, especially if they’re also social. Leining is a great hobby, brings up confidence, people come over and compliment him, etc.

My son also likes to hike and go on walks, both considered very yeshivish hobbies.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:09 pm
Op, are you seeking, something with an emphasis on "social" or "outside hobby"?

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 3:13 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
It’s fine for hobbies to be yiddishkeit related, especially if they’re also social. Leining is a great hobby, brings up confidence, people come over and compliment him, etc.

My son also likes to hike and go on walks, both considered very yeshivish hobbies.

My son gets paid to lein but it also takes up alot of his spare time. Definitely not a relaxing hobby.

laptop

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 3:19 pm
Book binding very popular for yeshiva bachurim. And also cooking, making potato kugel shnitzel, you know, bachur kind of foods
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics