Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it too much $$?
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:20 pm
The one I want and am waiting for is double that.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:39 pm
I'd love to see the chandelier!! Can you post a link?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:39 pm
To each their own. I spend money elsewhere. (But first I put away a lot of money for retirement and simcha fund)

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I afford it? Yes.
But should I rather put away the money for marrying off kids? And if my husband will succeed and we’ll have enough money then to marry off kids and this fixture won’t be a problem… I’ll regret not buying it

You can always buy it then. Or find something even nicer.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
I would love to see a photo...

Do show us!

lamplighter

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:05 pm
If you are being offered a gift of 4500 and want to spend it on your chandelier - abi gezunt. If you are justifying it as it's worth jewelery or vacations that you're not doing or that you dont usually spend- that's another story.
I do understand appreciating furniture more than fancy jewelry but if you aren't flush with cash and this is a big spend for you, I would first consider how long this peice will last you? How many years of nachas will you get from it?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:31 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
The one I want and am waiting for is double that.
Who sells these light fixtures????

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:35 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Many places - here is just one that sells some for even more

https://www.lumens.com/luxury-lighting/

The issue isn't whether the specific fixture is "worth" the price.

The issue is whether purchasing the fixture makes economic sense for OP

There is a cliche that states - If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. I think it is somewhat applicable here - in my experience, if people can truly afford a luxury, then don't question whether they can afford it. They might question whether they iike it more than something else - but they are not worried that they won't be able to fund their kids' weddings if they buy something.

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:47 pm
Ali express has beautiful modern light fixtures. Maybe they have a dupe or something similar. I bought mine two years ago and it’s lasting so far. I know a few people that bought from Ali Express and were satisfied.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $74.41 45% Off | Chandelier Living Room Modern Simple Light Luxury Lighting Dining Room Lamp Hall Pendant Lights Crystal Bedroom Lamp 2023 New
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m08hRwm

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $3.36 20% Off | Artpad Modern Crystal Chandelier Raindrop Hanging Pendant Light Fixture for Kitchen Island Living Room Dining Room
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKn12Do

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $3.00 70% Off | Long Crystal Chandeliers For Dining Room Kitchen Table Bedroom Modern Luxury Gold Living Room K9 Crystal Chandelier Home Decor
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtt04Fc

The rectangular shape.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $72.28 48% Off | Art Deco LED Crystal Hanging Lamps Gold Dimmable Ceiling Chandelier Lighting Lustre Suspension Luminaire Lampen For Living Room
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOTku5Y

Cheiny

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is $4,500 too much for an insane dining room light fixture? Dying to get it as a baby gift or smtn

Why don’t you shop around and see if you find anything else you love that’s a bit less expensive if the price is bothering you?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:03 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Schonbeck

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:28 am
If you want it buy it. You seem to know how to budget and you are willing to save on other things for this. It will enhance your Shabbos and Yom Tov table and Be'ezrat Hashem you will get many many years of pleasure from it.

NechaMom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Is $4,500 too much for an insane dining room light fixture? Dying to get it as a baby gift or smtn

What makes it insane? Reminds me of the attractive thread with the insane looks. Can we see a picture?
IMO if you’re buying it instead of jewelry, you can consider it jewelry for your dining room. It all depends on your budget and lifestyle so it’s really impossible for us to judge for you.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Can I afford it? Yes.
But should I rather put away the money for marrying off kids? And if my husband will succeed and we’ll have enough money then to marry off kids and this fixture won’t be a problem… I’ll regret not buying it

Sounds like you're spend as your husband is already "succeeding". Is it only a limited availability item? Why can't you wait to buy it when you can actually afford it, because it sounds like you can't yet. Get your present later.

Personally, I think 4,000 is an insanely extravagant present for jewelry or furniture even more so if you cannot afford it. If someone can spend 4,000 and not have to think about what else you should have spent the money on, then go ahead and spend however you want. But don't spend crazy amounts when you're not in that situation but only hope to be someday.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:53 am
amother Chambray wrote:
Ali express has beautiful modern light fixtures. Maybe they have a dupe or something similar. I bought mine two years ago and it’s lasting so far. I know a few people that bought from Ali Express and were satisfied.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $74.41 45% Off | Chandelier Living Room Modern Simple Light Luxury Lighting Dining Room Lamp Hall Pendant Lights Crystal Bedroom Lamp 2023 New
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m08hRwm

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $3.36 20% Off | Artpad Modern Crystal Chandelier Raindrop Hanging Pendant Light Fixture for Kitchen Island Living Room Dining Room
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKn12Do

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $3.00 70% Off | Long Crystal Chandeliers For Dining Room Kitchen Table Bedroom Modern Luxury Gold Living Room K9 Crystal Chandelier Home Decor
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtt04Fc

The rectangular shape.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $72.28 48% Off | Art Deco LED Crystal Hanging Lamps Gold Dimmable Ceiling Chandelier Lighting Lustre Suspension Luminaire Lampen For Living Room
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOTku5Y

Never ever buy a light fixture off of Ali express!!!
My brother is an electrician and he’s told me how many electrical fires and shorts he’s dealt with from them.

Btw, OP, even though my own chandelier was about half that amount, I think it’s ok to spend it if you can afford it and you really want to.
HOWEVER, I wouldn’t spend it on a dupe! I’d spend it on a brand name like a schonbeck or something. I don’t think it’s worth it otherwise

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:14 am
1.It’s something that will last for how ever long you live in the house
2. You’ll see it every day.
If you can afford it then go for it.

I would like to see a pic of such a masterpiece

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:16 am
So this is how the people who are not into watches and jewelry feel when they read the "I want a cartier tank" threads. I personally don't even notice lighting in a room and I remember I was a guest once at a home where the wife had just gotten a new chandelier as an anniversary gift, she said it was her preference instead of a new ring. It's not my thing and like I said, I literally do not notice lighting, and all I know is I hate sitting in a room with a chandelier as in my experience, they throw so much heat, it's really uncomfortable for me.

But I am that person who dreams of a Cartier Tank. And if the day ever arrives where I have 3k thats just sitting around and all bills are paid, maaser is given, sheitels, vacations, and simcha funds exist... then I'm running to get one.

So OP, if you have met all of your financial obligations and have money set aside for a rainy day, go get your chandelier and enjoy every second of it!

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:19 am
watergirl wrote:
So this is how the people who are not into watches and jewelry feel when they read the "I want a cartier tank" threads. I personally don't even notice lighting in a room and I remember I was a guest once at a home where the wife had just gotten a new chandelier as an anniversary gift, she said it was her preference instead of a new ring. It's not my thing and like I said, I literally do not notice lighting, and all I know is I hate sitting in a room with a chandelier as in my experience, they throw so much heat, it's really uncomfortable for me.

But I am that person who dreams of a Cartier Tank. And if the day ever arrives where I have 3k thats just sitting around and all bills are paid, maaser is given, sheitels, vacations, and simcha funds exist... then I'm running to get one.

So OP, if you have met all of your financial obligations and have money set aside for a rainy day, go get your chandelier and enjoy every second of it!

I like your post very much. Everyone has different priorities and likes! If we all were the same, what’s the point of having all of us here!
Btw, most chandeliers these days don’t give off a lot of heat. My chandelier (which is beautiful, was over 2k, and a gift from my parents, I didn’t buy it myself) is all LED lights, over 36 of them. It gives off no heat.
Actually every fixture and spotlight in my house is LED except for my old fixture that hangs over my island, now that I think about it

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:43 am
amother Lemon wrote:
Never ever buy a light fixture off of Ali express!!!
My brother is an electrician and he’s told me how many electrical fires and shorts he’s dealt with from them.

Btw, OP, even though my own chandelier was about half that amount, I think it’s ok to spend it if you can afford it and you really want to.
HOWEVER, I wouldn’t spend it on a dupe! I’d spend it on a brand name like a schonbeck or something. I don’t think it’s worth it otherwise

I was also horrified by suggesting that one purchase light fixtures from Ali. Any lights sold in the USA have to meet very stringent safety standards. When a US company has items manufactured in China they are manufactured with very stringent contractual specifications and the product is inspected to make sure it is done correctly.

The items bought from Ali have no guarantee of being made safely.

This is also true of faucets bought from Ali because many of them contain lead which is dangerous.

I also would not buy from amazon unless it was from the specific manufacturer because there are a lot of counterfeit products being sold on amazon which aren't safe. This could include children's toys which could have dangerous paint or parts which represent a choking hazard.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:00 am
amother Lemon wrote:
I like your post very much. Everyone has different priorities and likes! If we all were the same, what’s the point of having all of us here!
Btw, most chandeliers these days don’t give off a lot of heat. My chandelier (which is beautiful, was over 2k, and a gift from my parents, I didn’t buy it myself) is all LED lights, over 36 of them. It gives off no heat.
Actually every fixture and spotlight in my house is LED except for my old fixture that hangs over my island, now that I think about it

Hmmm. Maybe it's just the chandelier's I've sat under that throw heat then! My MIL has one and it's very old so certainly not LED, and it's unbearable to sit in that room when it's on. I've had that experience many times. BH it's not the case with the newer ones.

In any case, OP, if you can afford it and met the rest of your financial obligations, enjoy it!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics