Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Have you been to Rome/Italy?
Previous  1  2

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:05 pm
I was in Rome a few months ago with my 13-year-old. We stayed in the Jewish ghetto area. Definitely glad we stayed there, it was convenient because all the kosher restaurants are there. That way you don't have to make any big trips to get dinner after a long day wandering around.

If you're going to see the Colosseum book tickets several days in advance (maybe even weeks, in the busy season, I'm not sure). Also be careful of tricks, some websites sell tickets with names like "Colosseum Palatine Hill Forum" that are actually only for one of those places if you read the small print.

We were in Rome for three days. The first day we visited the Capitoline museum and did a free walking tour in the evening (we got in at around noon). I recommend both those things, although the walking tour probably would have been better in the daytime.

The second day we saw a couple random museums which were almost empty because apparently nobody goes to the 10th-best art museum in Rome, even if the art is still impressive. In the afternoon we saw the Colosseum. Definitely recommend the Colosseum.

On the third day we went to Ostia Antica. I really recommend this. It's an ancient city about a 30-minute train ride outside Rome (but technically in the city area, so tickets are like 2.5 euros each). Apparently it was a major city for like 1000 years and had a very ancient Jewish community, you can see the ruins of a shul. I wish we'd had more time to spend there, if I did it again I'd give it another hour or two. As it was we rushed back to see the Palatine Hill (which was interesting but wouldn't top my list TBH), then walked over to see the Trevi fountain again, and that concluded our last day.

I regret not being able to do the walking tour of the ghetto. There are also tours of the Jewish crypts. We were planning to do a Jewish walking tour but in the end we didn't have time.

As for restaurants my favorite was Yotvata, but they were all amazing. There's a kosher pizza place in the ghetto area and we bought pizza there for days when we wouldn't be able to get a lunch, like when visiting Ostia Antica.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:25 pm
I went to Italy over 10 years ago, with friends when I was single. It was amazing but most of my info is probably outdated.
We loved the tour guides from www.romeforjews.com.
The shul in Rome is incredible and the history of the Jewish ghetto is fascinating.

The coliseum, arch of Titus and all the main tourist sites in Rome were amazing to see. (Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, etc)

The Vatican - there are no words to describe.
Loved the Borghese gallery.

Shabbat in Venice was very unique and special. We loved Murano and Burano.
Also did a tour of the Venice Jewish ghetto as well .

I'm sure Dan's Deals Forums has more current info.

Enjoy!

amother1232

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:42 pm
Was there a year ago and found this post incredibly helpful.
https://busyinbrooklyn.com/divine-italy/

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 2:13 am
amother Apple wrote:
I was in Rome a few months ago with my 13-year-old. We stayed in the Jewish ghetto area. Definitely glad we stayed there, it was convenient because all the kosher restaurants are there. That way you don't have to make any big trips to get dinner after a long day wandering around.

If you're going to see the Colosseum book tickets several days in advance (maybe even weeks, in the busy season, I'm not sure). Also be careful of tricks, some websites sell tickets with names like "Colosseum Palatine Hill Forum" that are actually only for one of those places if you read the small print.

We were in Rome for three days. The first day we visited the Capitoline museum and did a free walking tour in the evening (we got in at around noon). I recommend both those things, although the walking tour probably would have been better in the daytime.

The second day we saw a couple random museums which were almost empty because apparently nobody goes to the 10th-best art museum in Rome, even if the art is still impressive. In the afternoon we saw the Colosseum. Definitely recommend the Colosseum.

On the third day we went to Ostia Antica. I really recommend this. It's an ancient city about a 30-minute train ride outside Rome (but technically in the city area, so tickets are like 2.5 euros each). Apparently it was a major city for like 1000 years and had a very ancient Jewish community, you can see the ruins of a shul. I wish we'd had more time to spend there, if I did it again I'd give it another hour or two. As it was we rushed back to see the Palatine Hill (which was interesting but wouldn't top my list TBH), then walked over to see the Trevi fountain again, and that concluded our last day.

I regret not being able to do the walking tour of the ghetto. There are also tours of the Jewish crypts. We were planning to do a Jewish walking tour but in the end we didn't have time.

As for restaurants my favorite was Yotvata, but they were all amazing. There's a kosher pizza place in the ghetto area and we bought pizza there for days when we wouldn't be able to get a lunch, like when visiting Ostia Antica.

Hi just wondering where did you find a free walking tour from?

Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:17 am
I went to Italy several times and it's my absolute favorite holiday destination...
Tuscany, Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, the Lake district (Lago Maggiore, Garda, Orta), the Italian Alps...all breathtaking! There are so many beautiful places to visit, both for nature and city trips.

I don't have a specific itinerary since we usually visit just one or two places at a time. But check out the blog of Busy In Brooklyn. She went to Italy a few times and made blog posts sharing her itinerary, places to eat and places to stay.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:54 am
amother Sage wrote:
Hi just wondering where did you find a free walking tour from?

Rick Steve's has an app, it was really great.

I also found Dan's Deals to have a lot of information.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics