Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Safety gates

mommy2

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 1:36 pm
I need a safety gate for the top of my stairs, Ill probably leave it there permanently. Anyone have any ideas which one is good. What I mean by that is durable, long lasting w a growing family, nice (preferably wood), not too costly, and most of all easy to use. I was very confused in Walmart which one to get.

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 1:59 pm
I believe that if you're putting it at the top of stairs, you should get one that gets drilled into the wall and not a pressure-mounted one.
but I've never used any of those type (no stairs in my apt Smile ), so I can't make any recommendations

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:01 pm
we have a pressure one, and its been really good.. its not up now, as my son is old enough to go up and down safely on his own.. I think its first years brand, its white and it can adjust to any size...good luck.. its hard but make sure that wherever you do get it from, you can easily and hassle free take it back
!

Henya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:15 pm
I was recently in the store Protec Enfant . The woman who works there said that pressure gates are really unsafe. It's better not to have a gate at all than to have a pressure gate b/c if you have a pressure gate, you think you're safe so you're not that careful. Whereas if you have no gate up, you're more careful knowing that the stairs are open.

mommy2

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:26 pm
I checked out protect enfant already, they have by kidco which is supposedly good, but they are like twice the price of those in walmart. Is it worth it?? Confused

mother48

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:28 pm
for top of steps you MUST use drilled into wall. (would you cvshalom take a chance of s/o pushing the pressure mount?)

I have a kidcraft wooden gate. looks nice and is safe. think it costed about 70ish, don't remember can find online.

mommy2

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 2:33 pm
of course I was going to get one thats drilled in (remember I said id leave it in permanently), I want one thats easy to open 50 times a day

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 4:12 pm
I have a permanant one upstairs and it is way sturdier and nicer for that matter then ones you just buy since I had a carpenter take an old style crib with scalloped railings and had it made to fit. Had if for 5 yrs and people still tell me it's one of the selling features of our home . Wink

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 4:55 pm
There is a wood one that is permanently mounted - I think its evenflo - that toys r us carries for approx 35$ I think - its great we have 4 of them - one handed open & close, sturdy, can be removed from hardware on wall when don't need it with out taking the hardware off the wall so you can put it away during a party or something. its not the fanciest wood one but it looks nice and does a great job. But make sure it is installed properly - if it isn't you will not be happy with it.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 6:07 pm
I have the evenflo one also and really like it. We installed it for DS#1 then could take it out until we needed it for DS#2. My friend has it installed all over her house.

Emuna

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 7:00 pm
We use and recommend this one from One Step Ahead:

http://www.onestepahead.com/pr......html

mommy2

Post Wed, Nov 09 2005, 7:19 pm
in the store they told me the evenflo can get stuck when opening and closing, is that true?

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 5:43 am
why would you need a gate on the top of your stairs don't you need one for the bottom stairs going up? I am a little bit confused.

Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 6:13 am
we have one at the bottom of the stairs (trying to prevent from going up) and one at the top of the stairs (trying to prevent from going down)!!!

to be perfectly safe, you'd need them on both ends!

buba123

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 3:59 pm
I have the evenflo wooden gate at the top of my stairs. I bought it at Toys R Us for$35. I read all the reviews (amazon.com...) for hardware mounted gates and I was most happy with this one. It's a very high traffic area and even my 5 year old uses it easily. It's for my 11 month old dd.

red sea

Post Thu, Nov 10 2005, 6:03 pm
mommy2 wrote:
in the store they told me the evenflo can get stuck when opening and closing, is that true?

I've been using them for 6 years - never had a problem, but maybe if the installation wasn't good...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics