Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
7 year old constipation

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 3:24 pm
My second grader has been anxious the past year, she complained of stomachaches and headaches.
Now I noticed she’s particularly constipated. I know she doesn’t drink enough but there’s probably more to it.
Recently this past weeks she’s been taking baths to relax and has a bowel movement in the bath. I know this is common in younger kids. I imagine the warmth and relaxation help her.
Now what? This can’t be her method of relieving herself.
There’s so many pieces to work on (doing research for therapist) and don’t know where to start.
Any insight?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 3:30 pm
I would do a clean out. I used pedialax for a week. Once she’s empty you have her sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes every day right after supper. Give her books, tablets, games whatever works for you and her. If you need do have a chart and give prizes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 3:31 pm
Do I need a doctored recommendation for that?
I also want to learn more about why she is constipated.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 3:45 pm
No it’s all over the counter and safe. Many kids are because they are stressed or no patience sitting long enough. It’s very very common.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 3:59 pm
This isn't an easy answer, but fix her gut. The anxiety, the constipation and the bowel movements in the bath are all symptoms of gut dysbiosis and inflammation.
I would cut out dairy, gluten and processed foods. Add in loads of magnesium, methylated b vitamins, a probiotic, and some ferments.
Do a gentle parasite cleanse like happy from bioray. Something to treat yeast, and something to treat bacterial overgrowth. Some liver support can go a long way too.
She will be a different child.

If she is a mouth breather, has oral ties, crowding, bad bite and or enlarged tonsils and adenoids, address those too.

Chronic strep may be an issue here as well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
This isn't an easy answer, but fix her gut. The anxiety, the constipation and the bowel movements in the bath are all symptoms of gut dysbiosis and inflammation.
I would cut out dairy, gluten and processed foods. Add in loads of magnesium, methylated b vitamins, a probiotic, and some ferments.
Do a gentle parasite cleanse like happy from bioray. Something to treat yeast, and something to treat bacterial overgrowth. Some liver support can go a long way too.

If she is a mouth breather, has oral ties, crowding, bad bite and or enlarged tonsils and adenoids, address those too.

she’s a real picky eater. I don’t think she is a mouth breather, oral ties, crowding, bad bite or enlarged tonsils and adenoids.
Oh I see you mention chronic strep. Yupppp in middle of working this through. She took antibiotics and will take take a blood test two months since finishing it to check titers. This came up in the bloodwork we finally did after a year.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 4:26 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:

she complains of vaginal discomfort I need to take her to the doctor. Is that what you mean by yeast?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 9:33 pm
Did the constipation start after she started taking the antibiotics?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 9:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
she complains of vaginal discomfort I need to take her to the doctor. Is that what you mean by yeast?
That could be yeast or pinworms but both would again be a symptom of gut issues. Yeast on the outside is a sign of yeast overgrowth on the inside, and chronic or recurrent pinworms are a sign of a weak gut.
Chronic strep is definitely a piece. It could be there’s strep overgrowth in her gut, or that wherever the strep is growing it’s causing systemic inflammation and affecting her nervous system, which controls her bowel movements.
Also with chronic strep oral issues usually are a piece, especially if it’s in her tonsils.
And yes, antibiotics will be a double edged sword here…

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 10:09 pm
My picky eater and anxious 9 year is constipated every now and then. Dr said low in fiber can often be a cause for constipation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children