Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Heating up food second night
Previous  1  2  3  4

ittsamother

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:14 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Exactly how I said. Take it out and put it on right at the zman. Other food can be warmed up earlier if your children will definitely (or most likely) eat it.

I went back and reread, and if you weren't referring to soup, you definitely made it very hard to imagine otherwise. Here's what I saw:

Ema of 5 wrote:
Even if you don’t do simanim, if you put the soup wherever it’s going to warm up right at the zman, it should be good by the time you are ready for it.
Alternatively, if you have little kids, you can heat it up earlier for them and give them an early dinner. You can heat up the whole pot, not just what you are going to give them.

You mentioned soup, then said heat IT up earlier (than the zman), then discussed heating up the whole pot. Which would all be fine if it weren't Shabbos, but being that it will be, that's why I asked what I asked.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:17 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
You responded to someone who specifically asked about soup, and wrote that she can warm it up. There's no way to heat up soup on shabbos. This is what many people have been pointing out to you.

After Shabbos while the men are in shule we quickly put food to warm, wash dishes, light candles, set table, set the simanim out, clean up, lend a light to our neighbors, figure out if we have enough wine and grapejuice and if not, open new- all in a hodgepodge order.

ShaniF

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:32 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
The old gas stoves had a gas ignition, so turning the knob and lighting with an existing flame were ok on yt. The new stovetops, most of them (I can’t say all), even if they are gas, have an electric ignition and therefore you can no longer light them on yt with an existing flame.

That's why we unplug the oven so the electric ignition is off.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
The old gas stoves had a gas ignition, so turning the knob and lighting with an existing flame were ok on yt. The new stovetops, most of them (I can’t say all), even if they are gas, have an electric ignition and therefore you can no longer light them on yt with an existing flame.

It's ok to turn on a flame this way. But the flame may not be turned off.

YounginBP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:04 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Only real dry food like challah. Not soup, chicken, meat or Basically any real food. We were told deli is a sheila, liver Only dry liver pieces.
And even if one does warm food on shabbos afternoon for the kids, I don't think we may purposely heat up more than the kids need so it should be warm for yom tov.

I actually think you can warm up the whole pan of food.
But if we are already arguing, did you know that you can take out frozen cake to defrost, YK afternoon, in anticipation of breaking the fast after the zman?

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:14 pm
Actually it’s easy to bypass the electric ignition by just quickly turning the knob. That’s what we do. Oh and my rav holds that we can shut the flame as well.

Moonlight

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:39 pm
I hope no one turns off their gas stove without getting clearance from their LOR on YT. I really don't see how this is ok. You are literally causing the fire to be extinguished. How could this be muttar.....

dena613

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:47 pm
YounginBP wrote:
But if we are already arguing, did you know that you can take out frozen cake to defrost, YK afternoon, in anticipation of breaking the fast after the zman?

How? Isn’t that hachana lechol?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:11 am
I use a 48 hour timer and set up an electric Hot plate, to turn on after Shabbat and during the time I need to cook or warm food on second day. It is much faster than an electric platta.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:13 am
YounginBP wrote:

We can warm up the whole pan but not with the intention that we're warming it up for the night meal.
Yes, I knew. It's not bishul, total different thing.
Bishul on shabbos is pretty harsh.
(And not everyone holds that it's allowed.)

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 2:15 am
You can also have a plug in electric hob that is on a timeswitch, so it comes on before the meal, allowing you to heat things up, then goes off again.

blueberry32

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:20 am
If I am heating up soup on the hot plate after shabbos ends for the meal in a tin pan ... it will be fine if I take it out of the fridge right when Shabbos ends even though it will be freezing cold? It will heat up in time? Or should I keep it out of the fridge the whole shabbos .. is that safe? Or should I freeze it on thursday night/Friday and take it out right before shabbos and let it defrost the whole shabbos so that it will be room temperature to heat up when shabbos ends or will it not even defrost on time/will it be a bad consistency then..ive never froze soup with vegetables. Thanks in advance!

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:53 am
ShaniF wrote:
Here goes:
If you turn the knob of the stove to be on the gas (when it's ticking) and then quickly shut it off then you're just shutting the gas which causes the fire to go out.

R moshe feinstein allowed but most dont

Another mom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:17 am
ShaniF wrote:
DH asked and he does it a specific way. Not sure how.

We also were told by a very reliable source (don't want to quote, Dh isn't here now) that you can boil some water, have it over- boil and this will extinguish the flame. So it's "grama". I personally found that hard to do. We bought "Chagaz" years and years ago. From Machon Tzomet. It's a shabbos clock for gas. It's AMAZING!!!

Another mom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:19 am
blueberry32 wrote:
If I am heating up soup on the hot plate after shabbos ends for the meal in a tin pan ... it will be fine if I take it out of the fridge right when Shabbos ends even though it will be freezing cold? It will heat up in time? Or should I keep it out of the fridge the whole shabbos .. is that safe? Or should I freeze it on thursday night/Friday and take it out right before shabbos and let it defrost the whole shabbos so that it will be room temperature to heat up when shabbos ends or will it not even defrost on time/will it be a bad consistency then..ive never froze soup with vegetables. Thanks in advance!

Out of the fridge all Shabbos sounds very very not safe! I've done it,from the fridge- it heats up.... no one is starving after a late YT meal

juggling

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:25 am
amother Seashell wrote:
You can also have a plug in electric hob that is on a timeswitch, so it comes on before the meal, allowing you to heat things up, then goes off again.

This is what I do. But I'm in Israel. I don't know if this is a thing in America.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:07 am
I keep the oven on 250 and warm everything up in the oven, even soup (in a pot).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur