Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What is your H.S. Rules regarding cell phones
Previous  1  2

small bean

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:02 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
my 7 grader has a no internet smartphone. She uses it to call me when she goes to babysit at night. And when she goes to a friend herself on the bicycle. No access to internet on it, only text and talk...

I don't imagine sending kid anywhere without me being able to contact her.

If you're school is okay with it and you're okay with it, good for you.

Wherever my kids go there's a phone, they can call me. And I can give them a phone if I'm worried for safety but they don't have their own phones.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:10 pm
small bean wrote:
If you're school is okay with it and you're okay with it, good for you.

Wherever my kids go there's a phone, they can call me. And I can give them a phone if I'm worried for safety but they don't have their own phones.
7 grade is not HS and to be honest, I didnt ask the school permission if my daughter can use the phone. I won't let her go without one anyway, especially at night to babysit. I am supposed to ask that? This is my kid......didn't know people lie about this stuff. All my neighbors know and I don't hide nothing.....I think it's ridiculous that someone can tell me anything about my child's safety and about phone that doesn't have any option to receive a picture or connect to anything.I am supposed to feel worried that I can contact my child any time I feel like ? Not all technology is evil....my children are very pure kids with no exposure to any garbage.I don't think school can make such rules, it's crossing all boundaries for me.didnt even know about such HS rules. But it is yes not their private number, it is a phone that is kept at home when I leave or they need to go somewhere,not their own....

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:21 pm
Just want to chime in that phones should absolutely be a necessity for safety

In 11th grade I had to walk 3 blocks from the bus stop to my house. One night a man started following me almost immediately after I started walking. It was dark, and the streets were empty since they were quiet streets. BH I was able to silently text my mom and she called the police and sped home from work. The last block I literally had to run full speed to the house and was able to get inside and lock the doors before he caught up (he was also running) and tried to get in. My mom was home within a minute and her car scared him off, and that wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t able to reach her until I got home to an empty house with a predator chasing me.

Cell phones are not just for fun but for safety. Just because people used to get along with no phones or no transportation does not mean that we should ignore the modern day technology that allows us to have protection at all times

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:27 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Just want to chime in that phones should absolutely be a necessity for safety

In 11th grade I had to walk 3 blocks from the bus stop to my house. One night a man started following me almost immediately after I started walking. It was dark, and the streets were empty since they were quiet streets. BH I was able to silently text my mom and she called the police and sped home from work. The last block I literally had to run full speed to the house and was able to get inside and lock the doors before he caught up (he was also running) and tried to get in. My mom was home within a minute and her car scared him off, and that wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t able to reach her until I got home to an empty house with a predator chasing me.

Cell phones are not just for fun but for safety. Just because people used to get along with no phones or no transportation does not mean that we should ignore the modern day technology that allows us to have protection at all times
I have to add that I am BT, and I take frumkeit seriously. I do try to improve myself all the time. My husband was in kolel that forced them to go to internet asifa years ago(10-?don't remember how much ). He came back shocked telling how "some men in loafers and colorful socks were bragging that their fathers give so much $$ to BMG, that they don't have to do the internet thing". Years later loafers and socks became almost norm and Lakewood changed drastically. Just saying -dont do gzeira that tzibur cannot hold, because it only breeds liers.

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:53 pm
small bean wrote:
Also there used to not be phones and no transportation and we all got around. I'm not sure why a phone is a necessity.

Both my DH and I used to go to schools that did not have transportation, we are both still scared from it.
Just because nobody had phones then does not mean that phones were not a necessity.
Do you know what it's like when there is know way to get in touch with someone? When you think you are going to have to sleep in school because you can't get in touch with the person who is suppose to pick you up?

My daughter has no transportation to or from school and unlike me or my husband she could walk home(it would only take about 2 hours)I make show she has a phone and yes she has needed it many times.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:57 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
They're not allowed to have their own phone.
No texting from the family/parents/any phone.
No touching a smartphone.

Is the bolded serious or a joke? (Reminds me of the snake telling Chava she can’t touch the etz hadaas)

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:53 pm
[quote="amother Jade"]My daughter's school in Lakewood allows the girls to have a phone because they don't want lying and sneaking but you need to get it through the school so it is tagged and you need to follow the school parameters about using it[/quote

small bean

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:53 pm
GLUE wrote:
Both my DH and I used to go to schools that did not have transportation, we are both still scared from it.
Just because nobody had phones then does not mean that phones were not a necessity.
Do you know what it's like when there is know way to get in touch with someone? When you think you are going to have to sleep in school because you can't get in touch with the person who is suppose to pick you up?

My daughter has no transportation to or from school and unlike me or my husband she could walk home(it would only take about 2 hours)I make show she has a phone and yes she has needed it many times.

There are no phones in the school for the girls to use? My girls call me all the time from school. And my girls never have to worry about transportation because I will make sure they are picked up on time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 12:11 am
My daughter’s school has a rule that the students have to get the school approved flip phone. They also have a contest for the girls who don’t use a smart phone all year with a major trip at the end of the year. As opposed to a lot of girls I know in much more yeshivish schools who all sneak smart phones.

GLUE

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 1:51 pm
small bean wrote:
There are no phones in the school for the girls to use? My girls call me all the time from school. And my girls never have to worry about transportation because I will make sure they are picked up on time.

There are phones in the school, but it does not mean she does not need one.

Can you do my transportation, because I am terrible at it just when I get everything organized some thing happens to throw a wrench in the whole system.

small bean

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 8:57 pm
GLUE wrote:
There are phones in the school, but it does not mean she does not need one.

Can you do my transportation, because I am terrible at it just when I get everything organized some thing happens to throw a wrench in the whole system.

Why does she need one, if there is one?

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:01 pm
small bean wrote:
Why does she need one, if there is one?

Last Friday she called me up after 12:00 to say that her ride never came and the building was locked because everyone left.
How was she suppose to call me if she did not have a phone? Walk to the corner and use the non-existence pay phone?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:38 pm
What do they need it for? Phones cause nothing but problems. If it’s really just for safety, use a basic flip phone.

small bean

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 10:25 pm
GLUE wrote:
Last Friday she called me up after 12:00 to say that her ride never came and the building was locked because everyone left.
How was she suppose to call me if she did not have a phone? Walk to the corner and use the non-existence pay phone?

Why does the building close while girls are still there?

GLUE

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:34 am
small bean wrote:
Why does the building close while girls are still there?

Why does everyone leave before all the girls are picked up, is that what you are asking?
Maybe because the girls have phones.

My daughters elementary school would not close if a girl was still there, then again they did get fed up with me on Friday afternoon and would leave them with the cleaning lady, I did say my 8th grader could babysit.
What did they want from me I work till 12:00 on Friday it was either pick up late or don't go to school, and many weeks they did not go to school.

In high school the teachers and principals leave after a certion time the girls are old enough to figure something out.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:00 am
If my daughter's school suddenly made a rule like that when she was in 11th grade, I'd probably just ignore it and tell her not to take the phone to school.

I'm not going to confiscate her phone if I was okay with her having one beforehand, and I'm not going to start school-shopping in 11th grade.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries