Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Too young for ear piercing?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:25 am
My father thought it was a barbaric custom (weird because his sisters had theirs pierced) and my mother had never had pierced ears so I had to wait until 14. I don’t recall pain or infection. Most girls of my generation started getting them at around age 10. Being the nagging, anmoying kid, I would bring it up every time when another girl in my classes got hers done. I made my daughter wait until 13 and she was one of the last in her grade.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 12:34 pm
I wish my ears had never been pierced. I wish my body had been left the way Hashem made it. So yes, there are people out there who wish they hadn't had their ears pierced.

Also, I haven't worn earrings in decades and my ear lobes never fully healed, they don't always close up completely or close up neatly just because you stop wearing them.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 12:51 pm
I got mine when I was 4 or 5 I remember the excitement that my Grandparents were coming for a visit and their gift to me would be ear piercing. They had done it for all my sisters.

The memory meant so much to me I asked my mother to come with when I took my daughter at 4.5 years.
She now has this memory too. Every time we go past the place we had it done she recalls going on Chanuka with her Safta to get her ears pierced.

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 2:47 pm
SuperWify wrote:
People have complaints on their parents for many things.

Mom, why did you ear pierce me against my will?
- That was never said yet, though in todays day you actually never know…

I did at 2 weeks and it was the best. Baby was too young to feel anything and we never had a problem with pulling them out. My daughter is almost three now and loves her earrings.

We had it done when she was 6 years old and had no problem because she asked for it and knew what to expect.

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 3:08 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
The younger the better.

With dd 1&2 had their ears pierced within one week of birth they hardly flinched and healed beautifully and quickly. Dd 3 I wanted to be idealistic I waited till she was almost a year and it was an epic fail.

She was un cooperative and scared & kept jumping away which caused the holes to not be perfect. She kept tugging on them the following few weeks too. She is currently 7 years old and still has on and off infections and trouble with her ears, sensitive to many types of earrings Etc. Might be unrelated but it often wonder

Idealistic means when they can consent

There is nothing idealistic about piercing a 1 year old

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:29 pm
I got my other daughter earrings at around 6 months, so it's not like I'm going to wait much longer than that anyways.
I'm glad to hear so many people did it this young. I do want to ask the Dr. abt the tetanus shot tho - I never heard of that consideration but it sounds valid.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:25 am
I have a few girls. Had them pierced within a week of birth. All doing great bh

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:26 am
I waited until 12 with my girls. I have a family history of metal allergies and wanted to wait until they are old enough to take care of the earrings properly and communicate if there is any unusual pain or anything.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:10 am
I pierced my baby at 5 weeks. Her ears got infected and I had to deal with that for a month. I wasn't consistent with the alcohol that first week unfortunately. If you pierce so young, I recommend a small diamond stud. The petal from the earring kept going into her ear (stomach sleeper). We switched after a week. BH all good now. My other girl we did at 5.5 months with no problems.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics