Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Calling back invitations
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:20 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
I'm sorry OP. In Boro Park and Williamsburg this a very popular concern, except, there are barely communal sukkahs and the shuls don't host.

I have one, but my siblings in law stay overnight at my parents/in laws on shabbos and walk over (if possible) for the yom tov meals.
Many people also go upstate to the Catskills, specifically larger familes that can't just up and sleepover at someone's home.
My grandparents would pair up with a neighbor and make a 10:30 meal so the neighbors can have theirs back for 12.

I've lent out mine when I was away to someone else in the building.

In my community, it is customary that people invite one another. You just see tons of people walking in and out. Many do specifically invite those who cannot build their own sukka.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:51 pm
Op may not have the money to rent a house upstate like the people in Boro park do.

Op is it possible to move? When we were looking to RENT a home it was very important to us a space and a landlord that allows us to make a succah.

Obviously now is your problem but it's something to think about after success for the next year. Is there anyway you can get permission for a pop up succah for just the first days of tom tov? Pop up Succah will help keep your husband nearby. As the kids get older it's important for them to have their own space to hang decorations. If you already own a Succah just don't have the space to build it. Would you have a friend that would let you built it by their house. Without having to go through their house. Even if they are going away? You will have to shlep your food. But at least you won't have to disturb anyone. I feel very bad for you op but your whole situation is not ideal.

another idea would be maybe someone that lives close to the shul would let you sleep over. You go to them night meal sleep over. Eat second meal at shul and walk back second night yom tov.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:57 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Op may not have the money to rent a house upstate like the people in Boro park do.

Op is it possible to move? When we were looking to RENT a home it was very important to us a space and a landlord that allows us to make a succah.

Obviously now is your problem but it's something to think about after success for the next year. Is there anyway you can get permission for a pop up succah for just the first days of tom tov? Pop up Succah will help keep your husband nearby. As the kids get older it's important for them to have their own space to hang decorations. If you already own a Succah just don't have the space to build it. Would you have a friend that would let you built it by their house. Without having to go through their house. Even if they are going away? You will have to shlep your food. But at least you won't have to disturb anyone. I feel very bad for you op but your whole situation is not ideal.

another idea would be maybe someone that lives close to the shul would let you sleep over. You go to them night meal sleep over. Eat second meal at shul and walk back second night yom tov.

Yes
I want to move somewhere else. It hasn’t worked out yet.
We did gift our sukka parts someone who lived just as far from us as the community sukka.

Thank you for your ideas.

I might hire a sitter to stay with my toddler while I go to the community sukka.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette