Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o shoe free
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:49 am
I'm really baffled by these grown adults who seem to be tramping through the mud all day and then walking around in dirt covered shoes in the house. Most people don't have dirt all over their shoes from their normal day to day routines. And if you step in something and your shoes get filthy, in my experience adults realize and either clean or remove their shoes of their own volition. Little kids might need some help with this.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:57 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
No but they aren’t trying to leave germs behind. They are trying to keep the floor clean from dirt and mud. They are less strict about shoes when the weather is warmer.

Result is same - taking off street shoes isn't some abhorrent "OTHERS" practice as Papaya was suggesting.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:01 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
I'm really baffled by these grown adults who seem to be tramping through the mud all day and then walking around in dirt covered shoes in the house. Most people don't have dirt all over their shoes from their normal day to day routines. And if you step in something and your shoes get filthy, in my experience adults realize and either clean or remove their shoes of their own volition. Little kids might need some help with this.

and some people flush three ply tissues. Smile

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:22 am
There are more germs in your mouth than on the bottom of your shoes. I think I will start insisting that people wear masks before they enter my house!
Just imagine how many foreign germs guests are spreading in my home when they enter…

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:26 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
There are more germs in your mouth than on the bottom of your shoes. I think I will start insisting that people wear masks before they enter my house!
Just imagine how many foreign germs guests are spreading in my home when they enter…

Did you research that one?

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:16 am
I find the Toronto "no shoe culture" very weird.
I was raised in Chicago. We had quite cold, snowy winters, snow on the ground from Nov to April. And no one I know removed shoes or anything.
Yeah, we would bring shoes to school to change so we wouldn't have to wear boots for 7 hours.
But otherwise, we stomped our shoes/boots well and washed the floors often.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:29 am
amother Quince wrote:
I find the Toronto "no shoe culture" very weird.
I was raised in Chicago. We had quite cold, snowy winters, snow on the ground from Nov to April. And no one I know removed shoes or anything.
Yeah, we would bring shoes to school to change so we wouldn't have to wear boots for 7 hours.
But otherwise, we stomped our shoes/boots well and washed the floors often.

I agree with you, it’s weird. And I’m from Toronto and still think it’s weird.
Probably some Ocd clean freak started this and somehow it spread and stuck here.

Today especially since most homes don’t have carpets anymore it’s time to let go. The soles of our shoes attract the least dirt, socks collect dirt, and all that dirt goes on the beds, ugh.

staten islander

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:47 am
My kids come home,take off their shoes and wash their hands. They know that we never sit on a bed with outside clothes on. We don’t force our guests to take off their shoes if they don’t want to. Live and let live

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:58 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
I agree with you, it’s weird. And I’m from Toronto and still think it’s weird.
Probably some Ocd clean freak started this and somehow it spread and stuck here.

Today especially since most homes don’t have carpets anymore it’s time to let go. The soles of our shoes attract the least dirt, socks collect dirt, and all that dirt goes on the beds, ugh.

Not sure where OCD comes into this.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 10:45 am
amother Papaya wrote:
Actually it is
Even if a spin off
And it’s not OUR culture B”H
I mean the Chinese practiced many things including killing off the female babies R”L
…shelo Asani gy
Such a brocha

Are you aware that China and Asia are not one and the same? That about 60% of people live in Asia? And that there are FRUM Jews who live in these countries, and have this same practice of taking off shoes when they enter a home? Not sure what any of this has to do with a specific political situation that is not in any way comparable to a harmless cultural practice.

writinggirl

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 10:48 am
I’m from Toronto and I don’t think it’s strange at all. I think it’s really gross to wear shoes in the house the same way I wouldn’t wheel a bike into my home. I live in NY now and we still keep this practice because it seems more hygienic and natural to me. That being said, if someone doesn’t want to do so I wouldn’t ask them to and I wouldn’t ask a visiting dignitary to do so either.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 10:57 am
amother Tan wrote:
Not sure where OCD comes into this.

The irrational fear of germs coming in your house with every single person who enters your house? Unless there is someone immunocompromised, it does sound a bit obsessive (speaking as someone with more than one family member with diagnosed ocd).

Eta: not saying everyone who takes off their shoes inside has ocd.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:05 am
writinggirl wrote:
I’m from Toronto and I don’t think it’s strange at all. I think it’s really gross to wear shoes in the house the same way I wouldn’t wheel a bike into my home. I live in NY now and we still keep this practice because it seems more hygienic and natural to me. That being said, if someone doesn’t want to do so I wouldn’t ask them to and I wouldn’t ask a visiting dignitary to do so either.

I dont see an issue with wheeling a bike into the house aside that it would scratch the walls and furniture.
(If you’d first wipe the wheels well on the front mat of course, it would need to be a large mat).

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:57 pm
We used to keep bicycles in the house. There was no room in the garage, and leaving them outside the house was asking for them to be stolen. They lived in the front hall.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:58 pm
writinggirl wrote:

What about strollers? And wheelchairs?

writinggirl

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 3:41 pm
amother Quince wrote:
What about strollers? And wheelchairs?

I personally use a Clorox wipe on the wheels of my stroller if I need to bring it further than my front hall. Not sure what I would do for a wheelchair since that needs to be used around the house more often than my stroller.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette