Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Scotch in the succah menu

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:02 pm
DH invited a few friends over for a scotch tasting-
Any menu ideas please? Its an after dinner thing. Only about 5 friends. I suggested sushi- he said nah...

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:04 pm
I would just say some crackers and other niblets to cleanse the pallet in between tasting the different types of scotches

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:13 pm
Is this a thing. Sounds intriguing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:23 pm
singleagain wrote:
I would just say some crackers and other niblets to cleanse the pallet in between tasting the different types of scotches

What you mean by nibblets? Like pretzels? Or hors devours

Highstrung

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:25 pm
Nuts . This is my DHs go to item when he has a lechaim or a beer .

Highstrung

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:27 pm
Also maybe some cake or dessert

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
What you mean by nibblets? Like pretzels? Or hors devours

No, I meant like pretzels again. Something to help cleanse the palate in between the different tastings. So you want something? I think kind of bland I can double check with my dad what kind of things he seen before

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:47 pm
Hot Pretzels with mustard?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:49 pm
Chocolate and fruits. Nuts and beef jerky.

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:05 pm
You can do some research. My dad said that there are lots of articles about what various whiskey's pair with various foods. The obviously you wouldn't do cheeses if it's an after dinner thing but nuts and desserts and fruits and all sorts of things. So do some googling maybe on what food pairs. Well with this brand specific year whiskey and you could also see if you can find anything on the whiskey advocate. It's a whiskey magazine. They're the ones that probably have the most articles and stuff

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:11 pm
People serve meat at scotch night.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:13 pm
I would probably do a meat board with sliced steaks and jerky etc mixed with nuts and crackers

lora

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:20 pm
Fruit platter, nuts, fruit pie.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:01 pm
singleagain wrote:
You can do some research. My dad said that there are lots of articles about what various whiskey's pair with various foods. The obviously you wouldn't do cheeses if it's an after dinner thing but nuts and desserts and fruits and all sorts of things. So do some googling maybe on what food pairs. Well with this brand specific year whiskey and you could also see if you can find anything on the whiskey advocate. It's a whiskey magazine. They're the ones that probably have the most articles and stuff

Thanks! The verbage You shared now gets me on the right path -very helpful.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:14 am
If they're"tasting" schnapps, they're not going to care about the food and you may not want to be around to witness the proceedings. Don't waste your time and energy. Give them a barrel of shelled peanuts and a bucket of oyster crackers and call it a day. Then go with a friend to the movies or bowling followed by an ice cream shop.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:23 am
zaq wrote:
If they're"tasting" schnapps, they're not going to care about the food and you may not want to be around to witness the proceedings. Don't waste your time and energy. Give them a barrel of shelled peanuts and a bucket of oyster crackers and call it a day. Then go with a friend to the movies or bowling followed by an ice cream shop.

Oh no- this is not schnapps and this is not stinking drunk BH

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 7:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh no- this is not schnapps and this is not stinking drunk BH
. I use schnapps as a generic term for whiskey of all types. Yes I understand your DH and pals are so sophisticated that they are just going to compare color, bouquet, and finish of a dozen or so different varieties, each bottle of which costs a week's pay, but I very much doubt that they're going to swirl it around in their mouths and spit it out into a bucket. They WILL imbibe. And if they truly want only to TASTE and analyze, they don't want food to interfere with that. Bland oyster crackers or something similarly tasteless is what they need to clear the palate. Not a charcuterie board or any of the other foodie nonsense that was suggested.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 7:53 pm
Jerky platter and some nuts

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:03 pm
zaq wrote:
. I use schnapps as a generic term for whiskey of all types. Yes I understand your DH and pals are so sophisticated that they are just going to compare color, bouquet, and finish of a dozen or so different varieties, each bottle of which costs a week's pay, but I very much doubt that they're going to swirl it around in their mouths and spit it out into a bucket. They WILL imbibe. And if they truly want only to TASTE and analyze, they don't want food to interfere with that. Bland oyster crackers or something similarly tasteless is what they need to clear the palate. Not a charcuterie board or any of the other foodie nonsense that was suggested.

Don't know about that. My father runs whiskey tasting evenings, and normally provides three different bottles. Four at the most. He says the palette gets confused if you have more. They drink the whiskey, but only in very small shot glasses. The only time people got drunk was a private event at our house for his friends. Even then they weren't really drunk - just tipsy enough to decide they'd better get an uber home, and come back for the car the next day.

He normally serves cheese and crackers. If people will be fleishic, you'll need to leave out the cheese. Smoked salmon can be a good substitute. Dried fruit and nuts are good to have on the table for nibbling. Light desserts that aren't overwhelmingly sweet make a good contrast to peaty whiskeys. Apples and pears go amazingly well with most whiskeys, and are simple to serve, cut into slices.

(It's best to serve some kind of mezonot, to make a לישב בסוכה.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics