Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Homework bedtime rush

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:41 am
It isn't working in my house, and I need advice.
4 kids needing help with hw. (Kriah, spelling tests, studying for other tests etc.) As well as younger kids needing to be taken care of. Kids need to get to bed at a decent time. They need time to eat, unwind, play, baths/showers etc. How do I fit it all in?

They get home 430 - go to bed 7- 8.

Also I want to learn how to encourage good independent study habits.

At what age can a child be expected to do homework on their own? What skills do they need to be taught to study effectively independently?

I'd like to implement a budy system where they help each other with Kriah, Chumash and spelling, any ideas how to do this successfully?

How much homework is normal to expect in lower elementary?

Finally, the case against homework resonates with me, and I've heard of parents saying they don't do homework cuz they don't believe in it. I just wonder how this approach impacts the kids feelings of success in school - if they don't study, and continuously do not do well on tests I'm sure this would impact self esteem! Im curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:52 am
I feel a child should always be able to do homework on their own. If they can't do the homework, the onus is on the teacher. A teacher should teach in school and the work at home should just be a quick and easy review. They should need minimal help.
A parent should be there to make sure it's done and to sign the paper. Except for kriah beginners. They do need more active help.
Studying for Spelling tests can easily be done with siblings close in age. One child can test the other.
A child has to be self motivated to study for tests if they want to get a good score. Or a parent can give incentives for children that study and do homework on their own.
You need to find your own rhythem and see what works for you in your home. A mother with only one child in school can have more time to dedicate to do homework, however, it doesn't work with multiple children and limited resources. Good luck

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:58 am
I cant answer all your questions since I have less kids that have homework and am more meikel on bedtime. We dont start until after 8 usually. There's just only so much time to get everything done.

I think my oldest started doing homework on his own in 4th grade. His end of 3rd was covid so there was no homework, but our schools main goal is that they should be able to learn on their own by the end of 3rd grade. I think up to 3rd they are still learning a lot of new skills like rashi and mishnayos that they need some parental participation. (this is for boys).

My 7th grade son will help my 1st grader with homework he doesn't mind he did some kriah with him last year too in pre1/6th grade. But they have a good personality match my son in between and him do not so doing homework together never worked out.

No one has started english homework yet but for my 1st grader its 1 posuk to teitch, 2-3 to practice kriah and they have a contest for kriah practice that maxes out 15 minutes. My 3rd grader has similar but he occasionally has a rashi to review.

My 1st grader is happy to do it so why not but my 3rd grader is a lot more highstrung so for the last few years the teachers and I had a no home work agreement. I feel like this year its important so we are making an effort.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 9:11 am
I think kriya in the younger grades is important but most things I think the parents shouldn't have to be involved. my 5th and 8th graders do most of their work completely on their own. the younger grades should really be having minimal homework.
My 5th grader had an arrangement with her secular studies teacher in 3rd grade that she did her homework when she came to school. It's not something I was going to make a priority of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics