Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Healthiest substitute for Corn Syrup in choc/rice/peanut bar
Previous  1  2

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:53 pm
Doesn't agave syrup have a much lower glycemic index than sugar? Doesn't that count for something?
Agave syrup's GI is 17
Sugar's GI is 63

I don't think I would make your op recipe though with agave as it's just an unhealthy snack regardless. Rather eat just a small piece than think you're eating something healthy and eat more.
But I'd use agave in coffee, oatmeal, yogurt or granola.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:45 pm
I use shady maple farm organic maple syrup. I really thought it was healthier than sugar....

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:52 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
I use shady maple farm organic maple syrup. I really thought it was healthier than sugar....
It is.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 5:13 pm
Sebastian wrote:
You can cut the sugar in half and the recipe works. Corb syrup stays the same

I think I may try that next time.

Whats the healthiest substitute for Corn Syrup in choc/rice/peanut butter bars, thats not chemical/artificial sugar?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 6:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

Whats the healthiest substitute for Corn Syrup in choc/rice/peanut butter bars, thats not chemical/artificial sugar?

You can probably use golden syrup which is liquified sugar. Honey might work.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

Brown rice syrup. It's still a syrup but not HF corn syrup. Works great in peanut chews.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 6:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Brown rice syrup. It's still a syrup but not HF corn syrup. Works great in peanut chews.

Energy and cereal bars and other processed foods sweetened with brown rice syrup can contain elevated arsenic levels (FDA 2013; Jackson 2012). Such products are often aimed at the "natural" foods market. But “natural” does not mean “safe.” Read labels and use EWG’s Food Scores database and app to avoid rice syrup sweetener in foods you eat frequently.

https://www.ewg.org/foodscores.....rice/

I think we have almost nothing healthy to eat these days.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:00 pm
I still prefer it over corn syrup. I eat a lot of rice in general and have researched the arsenic part.

No matter which item I google, I can find the negative. We gotta use some intuition and follow what feels right and some good ol common sense. 😊

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:04 pm
All sugars are essentially the same - if you are limiting your intake of sugar to "treats" then it really doesn't matter unless you have a true disease like diabetes in which you need to follow stringent nutritional plans.

Honey, agave, white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup.

Corn syrup has been demonized because large quantities of HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP are added to foods which shouldn't really have that much sweetener anyway like peanut butter or regular bread. And it is different from the corn syrup that is sold to in grocery stores and used by individuals for certain recipes.

Corn syrup produces a specific result in recipes - it is used instead of sugar - especially in candies to prevent the formation of sugar crystals so that you have smooth fudge instead of gritty fudge.

In small quantities it is also used for glazes on cakes and cookies to give them a nice shine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:08 pm
Im looking for a kosher date syrup. Maybe thats worth trying? How much healthier is it than sugar?

I see Kosher date syrups but not with OU, star K, or Hashgachas I use.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:09 pm
amother OP wrote:

I make the peanut butter rice squares w Agave instead of sugar, regularly, because I thought Agave was MUCH healthier than sugar. Its not! (Cleveland Clinic is very reliable).

https://health.clevelandclinic.....utes/

Honey.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

Maple syrup or honey

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:21 pm
Lior and Heaven & Earth are sold at local supermarkets, but the strong date flavor and color will alter your treat (while delicious - I use it for other things).

cbg

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 7:45 pm
I heard of something called yacon syrup
I don’t know
1. If it’s healthy
2. If it’s kosher
3. If it will work in this recipe

I do know it has glycemic index of 1

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 8:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wish Id be a fruit addict.

Im a peanut butter/chocolate/rice crispies addict.

Why is anyone spending money on the Organic non GMO Agave, and giving it great ratings on Amazon, if its not that much healthier than sugar?

Because people have their good intentions stolen regularly by people who make money selling stuff

amother
Clover

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 8:32 pm
You can cut the sugar. If you use honey, you can use less of it and it will be just as sweet because fructose (honey) is sweeter than glucose (corn syrup). However, you might need a little more liquid to make the recipe work.

The best way to go about this is going to allow yourself a treat once in a while regardless of what’s in it, and then eat healthier things the rest of the time.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Oct 18 2023, 8:33 pm
I actually just read that the honey bears can sometimes be from China and may not be actual honey but just flavored corn syrup Can't Believe It but raw honey has many health benefits. It may not be good to eat in excess, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a treat once in a while.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise