Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
S/O Names with Bad Mazal
Previous  1  2

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 11:10 pm
After every birth I go crazy trying to find a name where I think the person has good mazal. But honestly doesn't seem like anyone has it easy. Every name I liked, I thought of people with the same name who have a hard life.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 11:19 pm
There is something in it definitely.
If someone dies young from illness or had a difficult life you are suppose to add a name.

My son is named after my husband's brother who died when he was 1, he was born on YK and nifter Motzei YK the next year from menegitis.
My mil was preg with DH at the time and was told if she is able to use nifter child's name with a different name-she couldn't do it.
From my first pregnancy I had the bug in my head when we have a boy I want to use this name. It's a very common name like Moshe, Avroham etc
When my son was born we asked a Rav he said there is no problem using the name but we must add a name like Chaim or something from that week's Parsha.
At the beginning it was difficult for mil (we got her permission first) I think this is as she had no therapy and kind of blocked what happened.
Now 4 years later she talks about him and even showed us recently a photo of him (she threw most out after he was nifter). Something she had never done in the last nearly 30 years.
Happens to be the second name we used she says was always her favourite name.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 11:58 pm
Going anonymous for obvious reasons.

My husband and I are 3rd cousins. We wanted to name our son after our common great great grandfather.
He had a typical name.
Problem was, that I had a brother that passed away at an early age with that name (named after a grandfather from the other side), said grandfather died after many years of suffering.
My husbands 2 uncles (from mother and father's side) with that name died young-ish after a long drawn out illness. And DH brother with severe Down's Syndrome has that name as part of his 2 names.

We asked a Shaila. The Rav said, he has a Mesorah that it's okay to give this name.

My baby was yellow, and we had to wait and wait. And then finally days before the Bris, I kept on nodding off and seeing a small gravestone.
I was a wreck ( on top off being post partum, etc).
So we decided to add a name that's basically the same ( In Tanach the names are used interchangeable).

And B'H, my son outlived my brother's age.
And he's healthy, and cute 😉.

And whatever will be when he's older, will be.
But I don't regret adding the name. And I'm happy that we kept the original name, instead of changing to s/t totally else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names