Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
FR/5T high schools - reviews?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:24 pm
First daughter applying to high schools now and I have no idea how to figure out what's right for her... help! I went to a couple of open houses so far and it's all the same - of course they're all saying they have the best teachers and the best extra-curriculars and focus on each individual girl and helping her grow etc etc etc, how are you supposed to know one from the other and figure out where your kid will be best off?

I was thinking maybe we should first apply everywhere and see what sticks but between application fees and entrance exams that's not very practical.

High school is such a formative time and I feel lost.

We are JPF. Strongly against social media for kids. Dd is smart and intellectual but not very academic - meaning she asks great questions and has great ideas but isn't great at studying and tests. I would love for her to be in a place that inspires because lately I've been worried that she's getting jaded with life and she's much too young for that.

No consensus yet of where her friends are heading but so far it seems like a mix so that's not going to be the answer either.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:57 pm
Bump

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:59 pm
Where is she now?

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:59 pm
What school is she in now? Most schools have high schools too.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 11:23 pm
Your daughter is exactly like mine!!
I switched her this year to Bais Yaakov Ateres Miriam it’s new so it only has until 10th it’s small and very warm. We couldn’t be happier
You can pm me

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 11:25 pm
I agree that "applying everywhere" is more than a waste of money, it lacks direction. You can ask her teacher or a teacher who knows your dd well, for a recommendation. You can ask your shules Rav/Rebetzen as well.
Your dd might already have an idea where she wants to go and will probably want to go where her friends are.
Have you spoken to her?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 12:00 am
Kids from her school go to a number of different high schools. I'm not sure whether the main one it feeds into would be a good fit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 12:02 am
I asked dd, she doesn't have an opinion yet, and is not sure yet where her friends are going.

I can try asking a teacher but I'm not sure how well the elementary teachers know the high schools. They mostly don't seem to live locally even.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:29 am
My daughter was in Shulamith for elementary school. Her friends mostly went to Shulamith HS or SKA. She decided she wanted a change and went to Central instead. She also has neighborhood friends in TAG and Manhattan.

There are a lot of options. It definitely is a good idea to apply to more than one place, especially if your child is not so academic. Does she have any specific interests? She might want to look into what electives or extracurricular activities the different schools offer that appeal to her. For example, I know that SKA has an art program. Central is known for its STEM programming. If your daughter is shy, Shulamith is particularly known for being smaller and warmer. Your daughter's principal would be a good resource for helping you decide the best fit.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:10 am
amother OP wrote:
First daughter applying to high schools now and I have no idea how to figure out what's right for her... help! I went to a couple of open houses so far and it's all the same - of course they're all saying they have the best teachers and the best extra-curriculars and focus on each individual girl and helping her grow etc etc etc, how are you supposed to know one from the other and figure out where your kid will be best off?

I was thinking maybe we should first apply everywhere and see what sticks but between application fees and entrance exams that's not very practical.

High school is such a formative time and I feel lost.

We are JPF. Strongly against social media for kids. Dd is smart and intellectual but not very academic - meaning she asks great questions and has great ideas but isn't great at studying and tests. I would love for her to be in a place that inspires because lately I've been worried that she's getting jaded with life and she's much too young for that.

No consensus yet of where her friends are heading but so far it seems like a mix so that's not going to be the answer either.

It IS a tough decision! Many schools in Far Rock/ 5T are not only selective (even the new school- BYAM HS) but very crowded and due to space constraints may not accept girls from other schools. That being said: talk to parents whose daughters are in the schools you are thinking of, find out where your daughters friends are going. As to academics- every high school has a standard and your daughter does need to work hard- there are no "free passes" (even modification in HS amounts to English translation on exams). That being said: do your research, try to get "vibe" on the schools of your choice and- hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics