Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Melatonin

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:07 am
Hi all,
I’m having a hard time with my 2.5 year old and due in a couple months so I really wanna figure this out.
It takes her hours to fall asleep if I leave her in the crib and in those hours she’s crying kvetching or calling me into the room. She can’t relax calm down and go to sleep on her own. Due to this I rock her to sleep every night Bec it’s just easier for me at this point…but I really need to get her going into the crib happily and going to sleep.
My pediatrician recommended I give her melatonin for a week or two to see if it helps and then take her off. I’m completely opposed to giving melatonin long term I don’t think it’s healthy have such a sleep crutch however I’m considering giving it now just temporarily.
Has anyone ever done this?
Does anyone have a good melatonin they used with their toddlers?
Thanks!

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:27 am
I use melochews to reset sleep schedule. Like after tishrei or pesach.....

I half or less than 1/2 a mg per kid depending on age. My 90 lb 10 yo will get 1/2 mg. Down to my 4 to who will get less than a 1/4.
It's an amazing tool.
I've never given it to younger children. (Although I mistakenly once fed my then almost 12 mo an entire 1 mg and she went berserk. I called the doctor he said it's not a concern but just to help her ride it out. That was an interesting hour.... )
A feel like a 2 year old is old enough to give. Becuase their bodies are developing already similarly to an older child. They have similar physical/nutritional needs like an older child.
Younger kids I'd be wary. That's just me personally.

But my kids generally fall asleep but at times need their bedtime moved back. And it would take them from tishrei till chanuka to finally get into schedule and I had a houseful of cranky bickering naggy unhappy children and then bam on chanuka a few late nights and all the hard work undone.
Now that a week or 2 after succos they are back to their regular schedule consistently a few late nights over chanuka doesn't mess up their entire sleep schedule.
That's about melochew.

Now about sleep. Are you practicing good sleep hygiene with your baby?
That can make a HUGE difference.
I'd implement both at the same time.
Do a good bedtime routine. Keep the lights low an hour before bed.... and stuff like that.
Then melochew. So his body will associated the routine for sleep even after you stop melochew.

But most importantly, DONT STRESS about it. Your kid will pick it up and be anxious and have an even harder time falling asleep.

These things have a way of working itself out. Iyh it'll all work out beautifully.
And of course daven for it. Ask hashem to help. Always the BEST tool.
Good luck and bshaa tova

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:57 am
What does the rest of her schedule look like? I would start with that.

potatokugel1

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 8:14 am
Time to give up any nap she has during the day.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:10 am
I'm a melatonin user and have nothing against it, in fact it has many many health benefits beyond being a sleep aid.

However, in your situation I'd work aggressively on schedule, sleep hygiene, diet and some gentle supplements like minerals and herbs before resorting to melatonin.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:16 am
Thanks all- she hasn’t been napping since the summer so I know that’s not the issue.
We have a good sleep routine- bath then she drinks some milk while we read books on the couch, brush teeth and then to her room for bed.

Any specific brand that you found better than another for melochews?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:17 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
I'm a melatonin user and have nothing against it, in fact it has many many health benefits beyond being a sleep aid.

However, in your situation I'd work aggressively on schedule, sleep hygiene, diet and some gentle supplements like minerals and herbs before resorting to melatonin.

What supplements or herbs did you have in mind? I’m willing to try…

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 8:32 pm
Only ones that worked for my 4 and 2 yr old are the zahler chapter 1 gummies.
They are 2.5 mg. I give my 4 yr old a whole and 2 yr old a half.
The mellowchews are 1 mg and didn't help at all

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:09 pm
For those that have given melatonin to their kids to help them Fall asleep does it also help them STAY asleep? Like has anyone had the issue where their child will wake up a few hours after bedtime and therefore has tried melatonin and it works to keep them sleeping through the night?

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
What supplements or herbs did you have in mind? I’m willing to try…
Loads of magnesium during the day, magnesium footsoaks in the evening or magnesium lotion, ndf sleepy from bioray

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:38 pm
Sometimes it's an issue of bedtime being too early or too late. Either one can make it hard to fall asleep.

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 10:01 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:

It takes 15-20 minutes to take affect.
I give my 90 lb 10 yo 1/2 a melow chew and whiting 15 minutes she's yawning and her eyes are closing....
Too much can actually have the opposite effect.

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 10:06 pm
I prefer the melatonin drops https://www.amazon.com/Maxi-He.....24092
It is easier to dose really small amounts for little kids, I do 2-3 droplets for my 2 year old when needed and really helps them relax and fall asleep easier (prob abt 20-30 min)
I put it in a bottle so they are relaxing when drinking it.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:

Wow. I take half of those every night and I'm a very full grown adult.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics