Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby sleep method and sleep as an older child
Previous  1  2  3

I nursed my baby to sleep and it was extraordinarily difficult later on
I nursed my baby to sleep and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 51%  [ 21 ]
I used other methods (no crying) and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 4%  [ 2 ]
I used other methods (no crying) and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 7%  [ 3 ]
I used other methods (some crying) and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used other methods (some crying) and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 29%  [ 12 ]
I used other methods (much crying) and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 2%  [ 1 ]
I used other methods (much crying) and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 41

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 4:33 pm
I nursed all my babies to sleep, and then did bottles after that, to sleep. Potential dental issues aside, my kids are all the BEST sleepers. There was never an issue with them needing to drink something in order to fall asleep once they hit a certain age.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 4:59 pm
Question for those who are saying sleep is a natural biological function and doesn't need to be taught: what's preventing my baby from falling asleep easily and how do I allow him to access this function? I don't know if the question makes sense, but I'm curious how that theory works practically.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Question for those who are saying sleep is a natural biological function and doesn't need to be taught: what's preventing my baby from falling asleep easily and how do I allow him to access this function? I don't know if the question makes sense, but I'm curious how that theory works practically.

May be many reasons. Teething, stomach pain, gas, ear pain, uncomfortable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 6:22 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
May be many reasons. Teething, stomach pain, gas, ear pain, uncomfortable.

I mean on a regular basis. Baby is perfectly happy, just wants to play even though he's tired.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 6:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

You can work on sleep hygiene, good bedtime routine. Dimming lights 2 hours before bedtime etc make sure he’s not napping too close to bedtime. Not too much during the day etc.

Also
Make sure not hungry etc. how old is the baby

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Holly wrote:
You can work on sleep hygiene, good bedtime routine. Dimming lights 2 hours before bedtime etc make sure he’s not napping too close to bedtime. Not too much during the day etc.

Also
Make sure not hungry etc. how old is the baby

11 months. So if all this is done, what should putting him to sleep look like according to the theory that babies naturally know how to fall asleep?

Currently he expects to be nursed to sleep because that's what I've been doing. I'm not careful about the things you mentioned though so it's often difficult to get him to sleep even with nursing.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 7:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
11 months. So if all this is done, what should putting him to sleep look like according to the theory that babies naturally know how to fall asleep?

Currently he expects to be nursed to sleep because that's what I've been doing. I'm not careful about the things you mentioned though so it's often difficult to get him to sleep even with nursing.

I’m confused. I’m all about nursing and rocking to sleep. I guess what I and others meant earlier was that eventually he will sleep on his own/when he’s ready and babies don’t need to be taught how to sleep. I don’t think you need to worry about nursing him to sleep- if it’s not working for you anymore that’s a different story- does it bother you?

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 7:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

Also can put on a low lullaby, sound machine may help. Massage before bed etc.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 7:20 pm
At 11 months for sure just nurse baby to sleep. It’s so nice for baby and so nice for us mothers. Win, win!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 7:24 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I’m confused. I’m all about nursing and rocking to sleep. I guess what I and others meant earlier was that eventually he will sleep on his own/when he’s ready and babies don’t need to be taught how to sleep. I don’t think you need to worry about nursing him to sleep- if it’s not working for you anymore that’s a different story- does it bother you?

I'm having trouble putting him to sleep even with nursing. Also people are advising me that nursing him to sleep will result in him always needing it and it will be harder to wean him and then he won't know how to sleep without nursing. That's what inspired my original questions.

But now I'm wondering how the biological function theory works on a practical level. Are you saying it means to nurse him to sleep for as long as you want and once he is old enough to be weaned (over age 1?) he will easily transition to falling asleep on his own without needing to be taught? Once weaned, how will putting him to sleep look? Is it supposed to be very involved, like rocking/holding, singing and taking lots of time until he's age 4/5?

Also when you say "eventually he will sleep on his own/when he’s ready", do you mean as in every night when he gets tired or when he grows out of nursing?

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm having trouble putting him to sleep even with nursing. Also people are advising me that nursing him to sleep will result in him always needing it and it will be harder to wean him and then he won't know how to sleep without nursing. That's what inspired my original questions.

But now I'm wondering how the biological function theory works on a practical level. Are you saying it means to nurse him to sleep for as long as you want and once he is old enough to be weaned (over age 1?) he will easily transition to falling asleep on his own without needing to be taught? Once weaned, how will putting him to sleep look? Is it supposed to be very involved, like rocking/holding, singing and taking lots of time until he's age 4/5?

Also when you say "eventually he will sleep on his own/when he’s ready", do you mean as in every night when he gets tired or when he grows out of nursing?

Meaning he won’t need to be nursing you when he’s 15 lol like they learn eventually how to fall asleep without help.. I’m probably not the best one to answer these questions as my two year old still needs me to fall asleep but that’s ok she’s still so little. She falls asleep on her own in daycare for naps so I’m not worried. I’m almost certain she will let me know when she wants to just go to sleep on her own

Also you can add in other sleep associations now so that it’s not only nursing that he’s relying on. Maybe add in some rocking or patting. Singing etc.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics