Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I let my baby cry it out today
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:49 am
My babies fall asleep within a few minutes without crying.
What's confusing about hearing that you can put kids to sleep without crying? I'm not asking this with a mocking tone. I'm serious. This thread makes me want to cry. It's easier physically and not time consuming to just put baby into crib and leave the room. Otherwise why would anyone choose to let them cry for a few minutes over putting them to sleep without crying?

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:50 am
amother Taupe wrote:
I see this thread is no longer about OP or about letting a child cry for 20 minutes once in a blue moon in a desperate situation.

I won't quote a specific post since I don't want anyone to feel 'attacked' Twisted Evil

My heart is aching reeding this.
I'm super sensitive to a baby's cry. Even when it's not my own. If you stay sane while hearing your own baby crying because he needs to fall asleep then I guess we are made of different material.
poor poor baby. They can fall asleep with a soothing voice at their side. They can fall asleep in your arms. In a carriage. Why does it have to be with tears?! your the baby's mother! A child does not have to fall asleep crying.
You feel that he's crying because he doesn't want to be left in his crib by himself. or that he still wants to play etc. So why don't you put him to sleep with more understanding to his feelings? He's a human being. He has feelings. Rock him to sleep. You don't have time for that? Then we're back at square one where your child cries because you have other things to do. Don't say you're letting the child cry because he doesn't want to sleep and needs the sleep. You're letting him cry because you don't have time to put him to sleep or for whatever reason.

I am not a new mother and already married off too. I never let my babies cry themselves to sleep. I always cringed when I heard a baby crying 'cuz he needs to fall asleep'
My kids fall asleep so easily on their own now. They have very healthy sleeping habits. ANd are healthy teens, adults BH! And I never used Melo-chew either but that's a topic on its own. I deal with and give of my time for my kids bedtime.
When I grew up, my mother didn't either let the babies cry themselves to sleep. We are all leading healthy lives.
Why would you think that if a friend's kids turned out the way they did with bad characteristics it is because their mother didn't let them fall asleep while crying?!! You gotta be kidding!
I'm really not understanding why people say it's the normal way of putting kids to sleep.people do it because they don't want or can't be busy with it.
Reposting a line I read a while back on this board: A mother will have to give an answer to every extra tear her child sheds.
It breaks my heart reading how people are so גלייכגילטיג to a baby's cry.

Wow.
I finally found someone who has the same thinkimg as me.!

Yes, bedtime takes me an hr every night for my younger kids, and getting my baby to sleep is a job but I would never let her cry to sleep..

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:50 am
tichellady wrote:
I read a lot about parenting and I’m confused what parenting experts you say are against sleep training and what they propose parents do instead. I have not found these experts except for Gabor mate who doesn’t explain what parents should do when a child refuses to sleep. I don’t like sleep training and I’m very intentional about how I do it but I also don’t like being so tired that I can’t drive safely and having cranky sleep deprived children. I have a feeling the people who rail against sleep training have children who are naturally decent sleepers. Anecdotally, I have a relative who is against sleep training and we have discovered while spending time together that she and her husband sleep through their baby crying because they are so tired

I haven't tried this personally but the best advice I heard that resonated with me was to soothe the baby and then leave the room. And give it a minute. If the baby starts crying again you go back in and soothe the baby. You keep doing this. The point is to be there to soothe the baby but also at the same time have the baby get used to falling asleep on their own.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:59 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I haven't tried this personally but the best advice I heard that resonated with me was to soothe the baby and then leave the room. And give it a minute. If the baby starts crying again you go back in and soothe the baby. You keep doing this. The point is to be there to soothe the baby but also at the same time have the baby get used to falling asleep on their own.
I'm just a regular mother. Not a phycologist or professional. But to me, this seems like the child is disappointed every time again when you leave the room.
crying for a few minutes on end is also heartbreaking. So maybe this is better. Don't know.
I personally don't let my kids go to sleep while crying.
If they're tired they'll fall asleep without crying with me at their side. I also don't need them to cry to become exhausted to fall asleep as I heard some people say.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:22 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Wow.
I finally found someone who has the same thinkimg as me.!

Yes, bedtime takes me an hr every night for my younger kids, and getting my baby to sleep is a job but I would never let her cry to sleep..

Yes, bedtime takes a lot of time, intention and energy. Individuals tuck ins with each kid and creating a calming bedtime routine. I nurse an 18 month old to sleep for a nap. It takes a lot of kochos to be there for your baby for the first year or two but it wouldn’t be an option to let them cry. I have a lot of kids bh and it’s not easy but long term my kids are great sleepers and bh emotionally well adjusted. It’s worthwhile for the long term and for the short term.
Babies are little just once. It pains me to leave them crying.

Sleepymama

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 12:39 pm
Thank you amother taupe and blue.
You said what I feel in my heart only you said it better.
I'm sad that mothers are being fed this garbage about "Cry it Out" and are losing their natural instincts. It should be so basic that we respond to the needs of a crying baby.
I really feel like this is such a non Jewish concept that has crept into our Jewish homes. It's so antithetical to the whole concept of attachment, bonding and nurturing.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:18 pm
Still trying to figure this out - let's say my 18 month old is overtired, had a bad nap day, cranky, fussy, crying as I put on pajamas, aggressively rubbing his eyes from sleepiness. I hold him and give him hugs and kisses, offer water, put him in the crib, whisper soothing words and say shema. He's still crying and rubbing his eyes from sleepiness but I know if I leave the room he'll be asleep within 1-5 minutes once I just give him the space to get himself asleep.

What would you do next?

Sleepymama

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 4:26 am
Stay in the room until he falls asleep. It's only maximum 5 min
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics