Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me help DC with social issue

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 8:19 am
My 5 year old struggles socially.
He also doesn't get certain basic concepts that we are working to address.

There is a boy in his class who traded an item with him and promised to give him something better.
(Let's say he took DC's popcorn and promised to give him a gumball lolly, except it wasn't a food item, it's something a bit more pricey)
It's been weeks.
Every day he tells me "shimon promised to give me a "gumball lolly", he said he'll give it to me tomorrow "
How do I gently portray the message that this boy is obv not saying the truth, he isn't getting a gumball lolly, and don't give away your stuff to other kids.
People always say "set your child up so they are not a victim " I'm looking for tools to help mine!

Tia!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 8:31 am
Many young children struggle with this. You tell him straight out, "Some people don't keep promises. Maybe they would like to but can't. We need to get your toy back." Enlist a teacher, his mother if necessary.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:21 am
If you give us other examples maybe we could help you.

This example is something my kids deal with all the time and some of them lose something not so important and others learn it the hard way. Similarly my kids learn that not every story their friends share with them or their teacher are accurate or truthful.

~Don't have your kid take anything of value to school. Even if he begs and cries.
~don't let your kids take anything that would make other kids jel9use of he's not willing to share.
~Give him opportunities to make a safe trade-trading cards, an extra snack just for trading...
~Don't get emotionally involved. If it's not of value and they are not fighting, hopefully your kid will figure it out. And move on.
~Let him know what he can't trade. His clothes, accessories, and supplies

Even the most responsible friends sometimes are careless. I usually like my kids to be able to tell time at 6. But I buy cheap watches, and warn my kids that it's not something we borrow or trade.

As kids learn who they could trust and unfortunately can't trust even that isn't accidental proof.

My kid would only lend her markers to kids that were careful to put back the cover so her markers should dry out. But it did happen that kids forgot. She learned to only share her crayons that she didn't care as much of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics